FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
I got some tuberous seeds I'm hot stratifing right now. Day time temps are still pushing 100°F I read a post from Slack about them needing to bake for a while in the heat before they germinate in winter. I'm using a similar mix to the annual byblis mix recommended by the savage garden. With any luck the similar climate I live in is going to do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Berrybob liked this
By Ben Goudge
I, too, recently had some nice germination, namely D. Intermedia "Cuba" and D. Spatulata.
Berrybob liked this
By Apollyon
Same, I had a lot of indica germination (serpens, hartmeyerorum), some byblis, VFTs etc. I think I screwed up the auriculata though because I went with the ICPS articles recommendation to put a layer of sand on top "coarse enough to not form a crust." I used pool filter sand thinking I was alright. Definitely wasn't alright lol. I scraped the top layer away but I'm unsure if I damaged seeds or scooped them out. Had to take the risk though. Hopefully I'll get at least one plant out of it. We're finally diving into the 70s here in Central Florida. Next time I'm going to try this stuff outside and see what I get. Did you cover your seeds or no?
By Apollyon
Berrybob wrote:No I didn't, just used a mix of peat, sand, and a little perlite. I completely forgot about putting the sand in top
Probably for the best tbh. I think it was a mistake doing it.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Berrybob wrote:Great day for germination today. I noticed at least 10 other auriculatas. I also had my first vft seed germinate. Growing from seed is addictive.
Hey, do you have update pictyres? I would love to see the tiny little seedlings! Have you been feeding them? I read that they need to be fed or they will die.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
Berrybob wrote:Yes I have some pictures. There to small to feed, so no i have not fed them.
Nice! I actually ended up getting germination myself. I thought I had empty pots after I scraped the soil. I'm sure I lost a bunch but I have about 9 with one freakish plant growing larger with red leaves. I'm not sure what the mature version of this plant looks like. Mine was labelled "Anglesa"
Berrybob liked this
By Berrybob
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 am
Berrybob wrote:Yes I have some pictures. There to small to feed, so no i have not fed them.
Nice! I actually ended up getting germination myself. I thought I had empty pots after I scraped the soil. I'm sure I lost a bunch but I have about 9 with one freakish plant growing larger with red leaves. I'm not sure what the mature version of this plant looks like. Mine was labelled "Anglesa"
Thats great to hear. I got the Sydney variety.
By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:What Temps do you have?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I don't know about him but mine struck once temps got to 75 degrees. They were sitting at 79 for a time and I dropped them to a lower shelf under yescoms, where the heat sink is along the cable and doesn't project as much downward.
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!