FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
It's that time of year, our beautiful desert flora are going to seed! If anyone is interested in growing some let me know. All seeds will be collected sustainably and legally. Mostly from my, and my parents yards. (The old folks live in Kyle canyon up on mt Charleston.) I also have non native plants growing like palm trees (they were here when I moved in) and many others! If you have any requests, I'll do my best to responsibly obtain them. No promises on the rare ones.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
I live in the heart of Las Vegas, lots of mojave natives pop up on their own, as well as invasives. Are there any plant families your into? We've got weird forms of most. It is pretty asteraceae heavy, but dont let that dissuade you. They get unusual. Pygmy cedar is my favorite in the whole family, and it's not too hard to come by.

By Ben Goudge
Hmmm. Maybe something suitable for a beginner, because I have no experience with this kind of thing.
By murrkywaters
I should also mention fabaceae. Mesquite and acacia varieties being the most common natives. We've got erioganum galore. E. inflatum seems to be a fan favorite for people who dont live here, but my personal favorite is E. corymbosum var. nilesii, but it's super endangered and incredibly rare. I know where it grows. I'd need a permit to harvest any seed.

By murrkywaters
Asters are seen as dumb weeds by a lot of people here who dont understand ecology. Think dandelion when you think of the seeds of Peucephyllum schottii. Same family of plants. As long as the soil conditions are good, the damn things are almost impossible to get rid of. Same with some of the noxious and invasive zygophyllaceae like T. terrestris.

By murrkywaters
I've got a lot of pictures on my iNaturalist account. I'll post some good finds from hikes here. If I can't get it from the yards I'll hit up the local seed bank. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

By murrkywaters
Depends on the species. Many require a strange amount of heat and neglect to germinate. The easiest way to propagate cacti is through division.

By murrkywaters
We have a few native cholla, but they dont form pads. I don't have any in my yard because they're nasty little fuckers. You'd need to pay shipping if you want some. I don't have a commercial permit for collection on blm land so I can't trade or sell what I get from there. They are easy enough to come by. Which species are you looking for?

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!