FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! I have been leaving my flytraps in the rain recently, (I used to put them on the covered porch) because I noticed that it washes all the fly carcasses out. And while they do look better, the soil gets very soaked. Do I run the risk of root rot by leaving them in the rain? And can I leave my sarracenia out there too?
By optique
Both are tough plants from the east coast of the US, that means hurricanes. as long as the water can drain they will be fine.
By P A U L
against everyone's insistence that it's a bad idea, i kept my garden sitting in half inch water for 2 years by a permanently open window but my garden seems to be doing fine.

i wonder how many people i triggered by admitting that. lol
By optique
I did have a pretty bad hail storm beat up my plants this spring. I had holes in my larger sarracenia but the VFT's were fine.
By Zach Ledy
Thanks for your help optique and P A U L! I am too paranoid about my plants to leave them in a hail storm. :? But it's good to know that I can leave them in the rain. Not only does it clean them up, but it's free water too! :D
By MikeB
I have hundreds of flytraps at the moment, sitting on my uncovered back patio. They get rained on all the time, doesn't faze them in the least. The only special consideration that I give them is in the soil department. Since they're potted in a mix of peat moss, perlite, and sand, heavy rains are likely to float the perlite out of the pots. I put a thin layer of sphagnum moss on top of the soil, kinda like putting pine straw around the bushes. My plants have sat through hurricane downpours without losing a speck of soil. And the pots look nice with the sphagnum moss top dressing.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!