FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By VFTNoob
Hi all,

I have 2 plants in the pictures below that I grow outside in zone 9 year round. The first plant a weird collection of spots on a new growth point. They are in other spots on the plant but less clustered. Looks like there are a few on another younger growth point.

The 2nd picture is of a few of my plant's stems that are turning black before the traps do. Is this normal? Usually the trap part of the leaf is the first to die and the stem kind of hangs out until the plant decides to get rid of it.

I have Scotts DiseaseEx and Bioadvanced 3 in 1 at the ready if these are fungal infections. If this is pest damage, I have some stuff for that as well.

All help is greatly appreciated!

http://imgur.com/gallery/pYJcNgG
By Matt
You have a very, very healthy-looking flytrap there!! I see nothing at all to worry about in the photo. The blackening spots look like some sort of trauma caused by insects or birds or squirrels or some other pest. Good growing! :D
VFTNoob liked this
By VFTNoob
Thanks Matt! As usual, just me overthinking things that come with growing flytraps outdoors. Did you see the new growth with the spots? Any idea what that could be?
By Matt
@VFTNoob, I just took another look and it could be mite damage. Hard to say from the photo because it isn't a full-blown mite outbreak, but the damage on the new trap does look a bit like mite damage. I'd suggest keeping a close eye on it, checking it daily, and taking action as necessary. I wouldn't do anything at the moment though if it were my plant :D
VFTNoob liked this
By VFTNoob
Appreciate it, I'll continue to observe. I have avid miticide and orthene on hand just incase
By VFTNoob
Update: I do believe some sort of mite was attacking my plants. I sprayed all my plants with avid about 3 times over the last 2 weeks. New growth from the SD Kronos is looking healthy with no spots or marks. Got a loupe just to be sure next time.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!