FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By P A U L
I bought a Wally VFT from a fellow member 2 years ago (I think his name was Karnivore). They're thriving quite well. I noticed recently it duplicated itself from what appears to be a new rootball next to it (I think I'm using that word correctly).

However, in those 2 years... it never produced a flower. I also started D-Regia with seeds a little under a year ago. About 8 plants and none of them produce flowers. When I first started this hobby, the VFT and Capes from Home Depot flowered immediately and constantly.

WHAT GIVES?
By uxleumas
hmmm... how often are you feeding them? how many hours of light each day? in sunlight or under grow light? do you fertilize it? how often do you do a re-pot? is the humidity high? i hear that nepenthes will often flower with stress, maybe it's the same for other plants? have they flowered before? maybe the ones in home-depot were treted so badly that they just went "i need to flower cause i'll die soon and if i don't flower there won't be any future plants." which could mean that your plants aren't at that stage where they're light deprived, but aren't roling in sunshine either. you can try and force flowering by buying a seedling starter bulb (blue light) and that might work. vfts flower with lots of sun , so maybe try setting up a set-up outside if it isn't alredy out there. if you're desperite, try using maxsea or 2 small fertilizing prills or those slow release fertilizers that look like green dip-in dots
By P A U L
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 pm Are they getting a dormancy? How big are they? The term for duplicating itself is dividing and the new plants are called divisions. Do you have any that you’re willing to trade? Pictures would help greatly.
I haven't paid attention to dormancy. I setup the garden and lamps, then set it by this open window seen in the picture. I haven't moved it since 2018. I relocate it only to clean the water tray. I did notice towards the end of 2018, that many (all?) of the plants died back and then came back early 2019. I didn't journal any details about which plant / when, etc.

I'm willing to trade/donate, but I have zero confidence in my ability to "harvest" a viable division or leaf cutting, or whatever it is recipients would want from me.

uxleumas wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:32 pm hmmm... how often are you feeding them? how many hours of light each day? in sunlight or under grow light? do you fertilize it? how often do you do a re-pot? is the humidity high? i hear that nepenthes will often flower with stress, maybe it's the same for other plants? have they flowered before? maybe the ones in home-depot were treted so badly that they just went "i need to flower cause i'll die soon and if i don't flower there won't be any future plants." which could mean that your plants aren't at that stage where they're light deprived, but aren't roling in sunshine either. you can try and force flowering by buying a seedling starter bulb (blue light) and that might work. vfts flower with lots of sun , so maybe try setting up a set-up outside if it isn't alredy out there. if you're desperite, try using maxsea or 2 small fertilizing prills or those slow release fertilizers that look like green dip-in dots
I feed it once or twice a month with fish food. Two traps have been dining on a fat moth and lady bug for 2 weeks and it's still at it. Also a week or two or three ago, I fed every single trap just so I can pick it up and get at the underside to treat for mealybugs. I don't have a strict schedule for feeding. It lives under a lamp. I don't fertilize. I haven't re-potted before. Humidity in Los Angeles is near zero.

During summer, it has direct sunlight around 10AM for 1.5 hours.
During winter, sunlight around 10AM for 45 minutes. See yellow arrows.

> post315390.html#p315390: My post from 2018 when I started the garden.
When I received the Wally, it was riiidiculously small. I poked a hole in the middle of the garden and just dropped it in. This picture was taken a month after planting Wally in 2018.

Here they are in 2020 not wearing a mask.
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 4383 times
IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4383 times
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 4383 times
It lives under this lamp plugged into a timer that I adjust every 2 or 3 months. It turns on 1 hour before sunrise, and 1 hour after sunet.
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 4383 times
By P A U L
I blame the neem oil I poured into the soil lol. They looked perfectly fine a month ago. Dark pink mouth for the traps. And very erect leaves for the capes in the back.
By Adelae
Without dormancy, they might not be getting the right seasonal cues to flower. Healthy flytraps usually flower in the spring (and unhealthy ones sometimes flower to try to spread their genes before they die, hence the Home Depot ones flowering all the time).
By uxleumas
me neither, how long ago was the accedent/ i forgot the name what's it called i still don't know i give up but it's like uh..... i cn't describe it really either now i'm confused and also rambling so i should stop but i don't know where to stop so i'm just going to do it right her-

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!