FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Recently I've been getting into cultivating Byblis and I acquired various seeds from Fishman this week (Thank you!). Byblis is known to be a little tricky; particularly with seed germination as well as pollination variances between species. Even now, there is some conflicting information on germination strategies, what plants are self-fertile, etc.

I purchased some GA3 (hopefully) on Amazon from a source that seemed to have mostly positive reviews and last night I did my first experiment with the powder. At the recommendation of Fishman, I made a mixture of ~500ppm GA3 and have the seeds currently soaking in a petri dish in paper towels. The GA3 came with a scoop that measured 1/32tsp and claims a level scoop weighs .08g. I diluted it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and combined with ~160ml of RO water. I have some of my recently harvested Aquatica (no germ. currently on untreated seeds, this is more of an experiment), Rorida, and Liniflora (which from what I understand is unnecessary but why not). I wanted to do a sample of some seeds before I risk ruining the ones I have the least of. This time I chose GA3. I'll post updates on this thread with any updates. So far I have noticed that the acid has been working through the outer coat of the aquatica seeds. There is a darker coloration surrounding the seeds. I did this late last night so I plan to plant them around the 24 hour mark. As it stands, I soaked 6 Aquatica, 5 Rorida, and 8 Liniflora.l

Germinated with Agrobrite T5HO 54Wx4 ft feet at approx 24inches away using a humidity dome. 2 6500k/2 3000k bulbs. Temperatures approx 75-78 day and 69-70 night

Current lighting: Mars Hydro 600Watt full spectrum LED, 14inches away. Temperatures are 81-85 day and 70 night.

9/23/20 - Soaked B. Aquatica (RF), Rorida, Liniflora in ~500ppm GA3 mixture.
9/24/20 - Sowed seeds. Decided to go heavier on peat for Liniflora, 50/50 Peat Sand with Trace Perlite for the others.
9/28/20 - First germination (Byblis Rorida - 1 seed of 5)
10/04/20 - B. Aquatica First Germination (Rorida-3/Aquatica-1/Liniflora-0)
10/05/20 - B. Liniflora First Germination (All types are currently growing! At least I didn't butcher it lol) (R-3/A-1/L-1)
10/12/20 - Noticed 3 Aquatica and 1 Liniflora germinated (R-3/A-4/L-2)
Last edited by Apollyon on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Apollyon
Sowed the seeds tonight. With any luck I should see some new sprouts here within the next week or so.
By murrkywaters
Keep us posted! I'm still waiting on mine. I also have smoke disks coming so I'll run an experiment to see if one works better, or if combining them dies anything.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Keep us posted! I'm still waiting on mine. I also have smoke disks coming so I'll run an experiment to see if one works better, or if combining them dies anything.

I was going to ask about that, like how long it took and where it actually ships from. I had a friend I was going to ask to mail it to me from NC if that was the only play that I had. Keep us posted on that because I'm genuinely curious. People really talk about that source so I'm sure it's the real deal. Was looking into GA3 vs. Bleach and someone tested both on byblis; recorded more gangly/weak plants from the bleach. That's why I'm trying to find a decent source, preferably legal lol.
Copper2 wrote:Amazon GA3 is almost guaranteed fake.
Yeah, honestly I'm not really holding my breath but I went researching through sources on Amazon; the one I picked seemed to be the most authentic of the bunch. Worst case I'm out about 15 dollars lol. Saw someone talking about Ebay as a source, that might be worth looking into. They rely heavily on feedback to survive.
By murrkywaters
It's shipping via canada post and the language defaults to french, I'm going to guess it's coming from Quebec. Took 6 days to be put in the mail, should be in any day now.

By Apollyon
Alright, well a solid foot in my mouth lol. I checked on the pots and found that one of the Byblis Rorida seeds has germinated on the 4th day. Have to say that is comforting and I'm glad my first go at it has shown a little success (so far). Hoping to have more here in the next week. Pics coming up when there's something to shoot :D
By murrkywaters
Never got the ga3 from rarexoticseeds, it might still come. I went ahead and shelled out a few extra for some to be overnighted. Is this the one you got?Image

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Never got the ga3 from rarexoticseeds, it might still come. I went ahead and shelled out a few extra for some to be overnighted. Is this the one you got?Image

Don't worry about them being sketchy. They're a legit business. No, I didn't get that one, mine looked a lot cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NC ... UTF8&psc=1

It looks like they actually increased the price by a couple bucks lol. I was sketchy about it but it does appear to have worked. I have 2 rorida fgermination and I believe one of the liniflora (too early to tell). I was careless and forgot to mark the aquatica/liniflora so I have to go by guessing for a little while.
By murrkywaters
I was less worried about rarexoticseeds seeds and more worried about customs. Something tells me that presumably bitter white powder might get stopped at the boarder. I did get a different order from them that came in fine that I placed a few days after I ordered the ga3.

By Apollyon
Today showed the first signs of germination from my Byblic Aquatica Robust Form seeds (collected from my own plant). That actually gave me a sense of accomplishment. I noticed another Rorida germinating as well. So far the Rorida has been the most responsive to the treatment. However, one of the sprouts appears very weak. I don't expect it to survive. The others look very healthy though. So far this is in line with what I have read. Treatment with Byblis takes ~2 weeks. I'm hoping to see more; the liniflora hasn't shown any signs of germination as of yet.
By murrkywaters
My liniflora was the first to sprout, and my rorida shows no signs yet. This was with smoke water instead of GA3. I do not have any aquatica yet.

Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:My liniflora was the first to sprout, and my rorida shows no signs yet. This was with smoke water instead of GA3. I do not have any aquatica yet.

Interesting about the Rorida. I finally had my liniflora germinate today. So as of now, I have growth in all the pots I tested. I wonder if they'll come up for you here in the next week or so. They appear to react differently to your conditions, or perhaps it's the smoke water, idk. You got your stuff at around the same time I did. I have mine fairly far away from my T5 lights, so the temps are running about 77-78 degrees with the dome, I'm guessing. I don't use mylar so outside of the dome, it's fairly open which keeps the temps down. I put the aquatica and liniflora in a small level of water, The rorida too, to an extent but I keep that level just low enough for the LFS to wick it up. I'm letting the humidity and wicking handle the moisture. I'm waiting for some new trays and then I'll be throwing them under LEDs instead at a much closer distance. Hoping to see them dew and color up. The Rorida already had formed its third set of leaves, it is wasting no time. It's vastly different than my sad aquatica. I'm hoping to see my new aquaticas grow as they are meant to.

I want to test them outside when spring comes though. I feel like they'd do really well out there most of the year.
By murrkywaters
The top layer of media was getting pretty dry on the rorida pot for a while. It's in the exact same mix as the liniflora and guehoi, so idk why that was. I'm also dealing with warmer temps. The mars hydro lights get hot! I do have an evaporative humidifier and some ports so there is constant air flow, which helps. As of last time I checked there was no sign of growth on the rorida still. I'm hoping for growth in the next week or so. I did use the commercial smoke disk on all four and I had a separate test pot with homemade smoke water for the guehoi. Weirdly enough even though the homemade stuff was tested on seeds I planted weeks in advance, both guehoi samples sprouted within a day of each other. I'm wondering if there are other environmental cues at play here. Could be a coincidence with such a small sample size.

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!