FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
You should be fine for outdoor dormancy. You just need to provide plenty of protection from freezing and thawing. I am in 7b (south Atlanta) and my bogs are outdoors year round. In the winter I pile 6 inches of leaves on top of them and uncover them when frost has passed in the spring. The other option you have is to put it in an unheated garage. I will do that with some of my individual potted plants. They won't need to worry about light until they come out of dormancy in the spring.
By csmith19788
Our utility room is outside. Would it be okay to put the plant in there? It would provide protection from wind/snow but there'd be no light.
By Panman
I think they would be fine. They can't get any less light than being in a refrigerator.
By Matt
Panman wrote:I think they would be fine. They can't get any less light than being in a refrigerator.
That's true, but the fridge keeps them at a constant cold temperature that basically stalls their growth entirely. If Flytraps are left in a low-light or no-light setting and temperatures are warm enough for them to grow, they'll attempt to do so and ultimately fatigue themselves doing so. If left without any light and in conditions that can get mild to warm, they can fatigue themselves to the point they become susceptible to disease and death.

csmith19788 wrote:Thanks! Do I top water during dormancy? How often?
I'd recommend watering from the bottom during dormancy to reduce the risk of crown rot. And water often enough to make sure the soil is always damp but not soaking wet for very long.
By Panman
Matt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 pm That's true, but the fridge keeps them at a constant cold temperature that basically stalls their growth entirely. If Flytraps are left in a low-light or no-light setting and temperatures are warm enough for them to grow, they'll attempt to do so and ultimately fatigue themselves doing so. If left without any light and in conditions that can get mild to warm, they can fatigue themselves to the point they become susceptible to disease and death.
Duly noted. In the future, I will qualify with the temperature as well.
Matt liked this
By kartupelis
Greetings!
I'm approaching what I'd like to call my first real dormancy since the previous years were either failures of various degrees or just subpar environments. I would not want to regress my previous habits but if my proposals do not seem adequate... it's the best I've got.
Previously I've been keeping them in a veranda throughout the winter but that's in my mother's house and I visit once every two weeks. I on the other hand live in an apartment and grow my plants on a well lit south facing window and subsequent balcony(?) (see attached pictures if possible). All of my plants are in small pots that can easily freeze. My previous year was a complete disaster since none of my plants could withstand 10 days of -10C (14F) temperatures outside (who would'a thunk, huh?). Now, my question is - can I move them in (on the aforementioned windowsill) once the temperatures get to or near freezing and just leave them in until spring or relatively safe temperatures? The windowsill is by no means cold or chilly... besides the pepper plants on it :D .
The climate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riga#Climate
Really the most troublesome aspects are two things: 1) the frost is VERY inconsistent. We have lots of days where night temps fall to bellow freezing and days range up to 10C (50F). 2) The temps can fall fast, low and for prolonged times. What I fear most is that they'll either: a) freeze to death outside or b) will not slip into proper dormancy from the high temps of the windowsill.
Attachments:
20200719_214437.jpg
20200719_214437.jpg (546.04 KiB) Viewed 68 times
20201019_231553.jpg
20201019_231553.jpg (537.64 KiB) Viewed 68 times

They don’t need a winter dormancy as they ar[…]

A CP dream come true

I really need a new growlight.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/21/ca/f421ca4a1[…]

My apologies for not clarifying. I live in Charlo[…]

Hello All! New to the hobby so I decided to dip my[…]

Mold on the soil

You can try a cinnamon spray. It should take care […]

@cryostasis , That looks pretty close to what I[…]

Capillaris "Itanhaém"

They may be quite similar, but the Capillaris of &[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!