FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By camsdad66
Hi,
I'm no expert on CPs (or anything, for that matter....lol). But i have been growing them for probably 25+ years. Most anyone will tell you VFTs and Sarracenia do their best work outdoors where they can get full sun and go through a natural dormancy period brought on by natural factors (shorter days, and to a lesser degree, lower temps). Maybe give it a try with a plant or two. Of course, they usually need to be acclimated to outdoor conditions, especially if rescued from a "death cube"! But you already knew that, right? In summary, it sounds ridiculously simple, but the key to success with any plant is to replicate its natural conditions as closely as possible. Hope any of this helps. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

optique liked this
By Apollyon
Can tell you tray watering indoors is a death wish. I speak from experience there. Unless you're supplying it with decent heat/light and it has the ability to evaporate at a decent rate (which it won't in a 2 liter bottle) it is begging for crown rot. The plant is trying to adjust to numerous changes in its environment. The plant likely would have perked up on its own given time but being repotted and thrown in an indoor environment under a bulb in 30% RH isn't close to a greenhouse. It takes time for it to adapt to those situations. The dome you created was probably the right play temporarily because it was effectively in 100% through the shipping process as well. I'd progressively back off the bottle though, because a light will spike those temps higher as well as risking overly saturated soil and the possibility of mold (easy for it to develop in enclosed spaces without airflow). I have a mars hydro that brings up my dome over 10 degrees from the open air and that is an LED, just to give you an idea. If you want an indoor setup for a VFT, consider top watering and put it in something like a 10 gallon aquarium with a small computer fan to circulate the air. Have a strong ~6500k grow lamp (like a T5/LED) and keep it on top of the aquarium. I'd put it on eggcrate or something to keep it from soaking continuously in water. I'll never tray water a flytrap indoors again. Unless it's VERY well draining, it's too much of a risk to bother with it.
By Joshuamarshall792
Apollyon wrote:Can tell you tray watering indoors is a death wish. I speak from experience there. Unless you're supplying it with decent heat/light and it has the ability to evaporate at a decent rate (which it won't in a 2 liter bottle) it is begging for crown rot. The plant is trying to adjust to numerous changes in its environment. The plant likely would have perked up on its own given time but being repotted and thrown in an indoor environment under a bulb in 30% RH isn't close to a greenhouse. It takes time for it to adapt to those situations. The dome you created was probably the right play temporarily because it was effectively in 100% through the shipping process as well. I'd progressively back off the bottle though, because a light will spike those temps higher as well as risking overly saturated soil and the possibility of mold (easy for it to develop in enclosed spaces without airflow). I have a mars hydro that brings up my dome over 10 degrees from the open air and that is an LED, just to give you an idea. If you want an indoor setup for a VFT, consider top watering and put it in something like a 10 gallon aquarium with a small computer fan to circulate the air. Have a strong ~6500k grow lamp (like a T5/LED) and keep it on top of the aquarium. I'd put it on eggcrate or something to keep it from soaking continuously in water. I'll never tray water a flytrap indoors again. Unless it's VERY well draining, it's too much of a risk to bother with it.
I already took it out of the bottle, I said that...I did, I'm going through a bad night, I dropped my food all over me when I was going to sit down, I got yelled at, I'm getting threats by my parents they are gonna call the police because I keep fighting with my sister, she wants to keep being a b!tch then so be it, I have really bad anxiety right now, I don't want to leave my house, I just have a bad life all together, I want my sister to leave instead and get hit by a car on the way out LOL! I don't have any respect for my sister, sorry but the way she treats me Is wrong.

dragons are red, scams are blue, but green is true!

Venus Fly Traps Turning White?

It was dormant in the cube when I got it. I took i[…]

Is this a pest?

One point I'm not clear on, though. How does the[…]

GA3 sources

Yeah I'm getting some from ebay. The same source M[…]

Vft dying

Umm okay I used a exclamation point instead o[…]

Mature FTS Flaming Lips

Is it in a terra-cotta pot? If so I would quickly […]

The new growth would actually be considered branch[…]

Nepenthes seeds just harvest

Just wondering, did they turn out to be legit?(I […]

Music

Okay troll no#2 bad joke, don't go after people […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!