FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
that new growth should use any life left in the old plant as a battery. if you ever want more plants just take some fresh tissue(leaf/root/flowerstalk) and put it in clean water.

this is a "multifida extrema" flower stalk i took inside and put in a water trey of a windowsill plant.
Apollyon liked this
By uxleumas
cut and bury (or put in water) i think 3 inch segments are used someitmes 2 inch or 4 inch or even 5 inch. more inch = bigger plant and higher strike percentage. less inch == smaller plant and lower strike rate, but may get more plants would suggest more inch though.
By Apollyon
optique wrote:that new growth should use any life left in the old plant as a battery. if you ever want more plants just take some fresh tissue(leaf/root/flowerstalk) and put it in clean water.

this is a "multifida extrema" flower stalk i took inside and put in a water trey of a windowsill plant.
lol im doing the same thing with the same plant. I have them growing in test tubes like some weird science project. It's neat to look at though. Just have the whole stand under my grow lights.
By Apollyon
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Should I let the new growth point use it as a battery or chop it up?
I'm by no means a professional with water propagation but I can say I have offshoots coming from all levels. I did an experiment where I used different parts (flower stalk, carnivorous leaves, etc.) I didn't have great luck with the stalk, I had the most success with the carnivorous portions. I also had more luck with larger pieces than smaller ones. The smaller pieces seemed to have progressively died off compared to the larger.

Suppose you could plug it into some damp media and bag it instead, wouldn't have to fight transplanting if it strikes.

Honestly man, with nothing to lose I'd cut it off and see what you get out of it unless you're wanting a larger plant sooner.
By optique
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Should I let the new growth point use it as a battery or chop it up?
i would let the 1 plant feed off the old one the stalk looks a little past its prime fresh tissue is best for making new plants

a good thing to keep in mind is the old tissue is used as a battery so the less new plants using the battery they will get larger faster.
this i how i make more capes. Image

if i was to turn the leaves sideways and keep it more humid i would have 15x more plants but they would be a lot smaller
By optique
Apollyon wrote:lol im doing the same thing with the same plant. I have them growing in test tubes like some weird science project. It's neat to look at though. Just have the whole stand under my grow lights.
i don't need more its just they don't self pollinate so instead of wasting the energy going to see if can sell a few plants next year. this year i was selling(locally) almost flowering size capes for $5 and could not keep up with demand. going to see how multifida extrema fairs.

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!