FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
So I see it is in a tiny pot. Are you sitting it in a tray of water? It may be too wet for it. What is it potted in? On the other hand, it may be getting to hot from the lights. What is the soil temperature? I use a meat thermometer to check mine (shh, don't tell my wife) I doubt it is a humidity problem. VFTs don't seem to care. The last option is pests. I, see some blemishes on the leaves that could be from a bug. How long have you had it?
By optique
my guess would be the amount of lighting i don't know the math to compare that light bulb to the sun. but considering your purpurea is in better shape in the same conditions, my guess is lighting.

most post you see on this forum of people asking why there VFT looks like crap the pic will show it inside a home. i know it can be grown well/healthy inside but its tricky and expensive to mimic full sun temperate conditions in a average home.

If growing temperate inside ends badly try tropical plants, some sundews and nepenthes.
By Panman
The problem is that you have only had the plant for a week. It was already stressed from shipping. Then it is adjusting to new water, new light, and new humidity. Then you repotted it and caused it more stress. It will take a couple of weeks for a plant that has handled shipping well to look good. It can take longer if it was abused in the shipping process. The humidity dome is helping because you are returning one of the parameters that it was used to. Unless your pot is very deep, sitting it in a tray of water may cause problems long term. Your best bet is to find its permanent location, and get it there. When I received in flytraps from Oregon they sat outside, where they were going, but in a shaded location. They adjusted to the temperature, humidity, and light in a couple of weeks. Another aspect you are going to need to face, is that this plant was grown in a greenhouse without artificial lighting. That means that it has been experiencing diminishing hours of sun for the past 3 months. It is going to be headed into dormancy. Trying to force it out of that may stress it even more.

My advice, stop fussing with it and leave it alone. Keep the soil damp but not wet, don't cook it with the plant light, and let it catch its breath.
By Panman
You said you were using a halogen bulb. As I understand it, those put out quite a bit of heat and if you have it in an enclosed space, it can bake it.
By camsdad66
Hi,
I'm no expert on CPs (or anything, for that matter....lol). But i have been growing them for probably 25+ years. Most anyone will tell you VFTs and Sarracenia do their best work outdoors where they can get full sun and go through a natural dormancy period brought on by natural factors (shorter days, and to a lesser degree, lower temps). Maybe give it a try with a plant or two. Of course, they usually need to be acclimated to outdoor conditions, especially if rescued from a "death cube"! But you already knew that, right? In summary, it sounds ridiculously simple, but the key to success with any plant is to replicate its natural conditions as closely as possible. Hope any of this helps. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

optique liked this
By Apollyon
Can tell you tray watering indoors is a death wish. I speak from experience there. Unless you're supplying it with decent heat/light and it has the ability to evaporate at a decent rate (which it won't in a 2 liter bottle) it is begging for crown rot. The plant is trying to adjust to numerous changes in its environment. The plant likely would have perked up on its own given time but being repotted and thrown in an indoor environment under a bulb in 30% RH isn't close to a greenhouse. It takes time for it to adapt to those situations. The dome you created was probably the right play temporarily because it was effectively in 100% through the shipping process as well. I'd progressively back off the bottle though, because a light will spike those temps higher as well as risking overly saturated soil and the possibility of mold (easy for it to develop in enclosed spaces without airflow). I have a mars hydro that brings up my dome over 10 degrees from the open air and that is an LED, just to give you an idea. If you want an indoor setup for a VFT, consider top watering and put it in something like a 10 gallon aquarium with a small computer fan to circulate the air. Have a strong ~6500k grow lamp (like a T5/LED) and keep it on top of the aquarium. I'd put it on eggcrate or something to keep it from soaking continuously in water. I'll never tray water a flytrap indoors again. Unless it's VERY well draining, it's too much of a risk to bother with it.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!