FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tara emerson
Hi everyone!! My name is Tara and I've had my fly traps (Stewie and Twoie) for about seven months now.

Recently I've had a problem with fungus growth in the moss, which led to a TON of fungus gnats.

A few days ago, I repot my little guys (very carefully), flushing out the roots and spraying the repotted plants with neem oil.

Right now, I am using the tray method of watering (I have a feeling I've just been filling the tray up too high, so the roots were probably soaked with water, which I think led to the fungal growth).

For future reference, should I continue using the tray method with a smaller amount of water & more frequent waterings? Or should I seek out alternate methods? If so, does anyone have any tips?

Thank you SO much for your time!! I'm moving into a dorm soon and I hope to bring my traps with me, just wanted to make sure they're happy and healthy!!

Proactive instead of reactive this time :)
By Matt
Hello Tara and welcome to FlytrapCare!
tara emerson wrote:For future reference, should I continue using the tray method with a smaller amount of water & more frequent waterings? Or should I seek out alternate methods? If so, does anyone have any tips?
I usually prefer to top water Venus flytraps. It flushes nutrients out of the soil and brings air and nitrogen down to the roots, which flytraps appreciate. We have very hot temperatures here in southern Oregon most of the summer, along with very low humidity but we usuallly try to never leave our flytraps sitting in water. It can be done and they will do fine in most cases, but they much better if the soil moisture level is moderated to the point where it is always damp, never dry, but not soaking wet for very long.

During the summer months, each morning when I water our plants, I thoroughly soak the pots from the top and water them enough so that water runs out the bottom of the pots. This usually leaves a very minimal amount of water in the trays (like less than 1/4 inch). That's enough to get them through each day. They are usually nearly dry by the next morning when days are in the 90s or 100s, but allowing them to get nearly dry results in stronger root systems and healthier plants. Just be sure to never let them dry out completely!

During the cooler seasons, my watering schedule can vary from every other day to once every 10 to 12 days when it's very cold and damp here.

The bottom line is to do whatever you can to keep the soil moist at all times, but not soaking wet. If at all possible, avoid leaving flytraps sitting in water for extended periods of time unless the pot is super deep and only the bottom few inches are submerged.

Hope that helps!
By P A U L
I keep my small potted garden in half inch of water alllllllll year long. It's been 2 years since I joined the forum and that garden has been doing very well for those 2 years.

I mixed a shot glass of neem oil in a gallon of water, and poured it over the surface for gnats. Then a few hours later I pumped several squirts of hydrogen peroxide straight out of the bottle (the 3% bottle) all over the surface. Did it work? I don't know yet lol..this was 2 days ago.
By omnipercp15
if you have fungus gnats around your CPs, it just means you don't have enough sundews in your collection. time to buy more.

I've also head that hydrogen peroxide is a good deterrent to fungus gnats but the problem that you can't tell if it killed off the current generation and just new fungus gnats showed up, or if it failed to kill the ones in the growing medium and they continued hatching and levelling up!
Panman liked this
By P A U L
My method did not work.

I don't notice fungus gnats flying around anymore (even before I tried neem oil/peroxide). Maaybe one every other day I actually spot one. But today I sprayed water over the moss where my plants live, and I saw the squirmy little buggers move. So I poured the neem oil water all over the pot....and then suddenly they all surfaced thrashing around. I am now trying to figure what I have at home that I can use to keep the pot dunked in neem oil water for a few minutes. I also did not measure how much neem oil I actually used. I poured leftovers from the bottle and maybe it was 1 or 2 tablespoons...going into 1 gallon water.

Peroxide seems to work to minimize moss and fungus growth. But it doesn't seem to do anything to eliminate/prevent pests.

Great info! Thanks everyone for the help and guida[…]

A CP dream come true

I think the 3-4 of us in here got our Eden Black f[…]

I am also selling Drosera Adelae https://i.imgur.c[…]

Goodbye 2020 Growing Season

Woke up to a light snowfall Monday morning. I had […]

Rocket Farms VFT

Do the plants get very big, I am assuming they ar[…]

Mold on the soil

Bayer 3 in 1 is a systemic fungicide that will do […]

Snails anyone ?

It's almost completely silica. If you're concerned[…]

Very nice, Byblis is one of my favorites for sure.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!