FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
#3 is hereby gone! If, for some bizarre reason, it's needed in conversation, it may only be referred to in binary as "0011"
ChefDean, Apollyon, sanguinearocks101 and 1 others liked this
By evenwind
A couple of you have asked about petiolaris care. Honestly, I haven't found the right conditions yet. I have them planted in NZS - maybe that's the mistake to start with. I grow under full-spectrum fluorescent lights, bright enough to color up VFTs and Pings. I had them under a pierced humidity dome for quite a while. They grew but weren't pretty. The outer rings of dead leaves were much larger than the live stuff in the middle. So I spent some time cleaning them up and removed the dome. I don't think the 20 or 30 point difference in humidity levels with and without the dome mattered much. Maybe there's a lower ratio of dead leaves in the lower humidity. In any case, they spent a lot of energy producing multiple heads . Whether this is like VFTs in some conditions growing one big plant and in others growing lots of babies instead, I don't know. If I were starting it again, I'd probably try a peat mix but that's the only major thing I can come up with.

Anyhow, three of the boxes went out this morning. I expect the last one to go out this afternoon. I'll be in individual contact with postage info and tracing numbers.

Thanks for playing!
By ChefDean
In researching them, most references to media I'm seeing suggest a sandy mix, about a 1:2 sand:peat, but LFSM can be a good addition because it can wick water better if the peat dries out a little too much. Sand is the only thing I don't have, so I'm going to go with a 1:2:1 perlite:peat:LFSM. However, it says media isn't terribly important, water and temps are.
Stay above 65°F for the most part. Wetter in cooler temps, drier in warmer temps, but don't let it dry out completely.
Looks like fun!
By Apollyon
Petiolaris love hotter temperatures than other Drosera. For instance, I put mine directly out in the Florida sun and it struck three divisions after it woke up from dormancy. If the plant stays too cool it has a tendency to go dormant, which was my problem. They enjoy high humidity and higher temperatures.

Often times people seem to grow them in enclosures with heat mats or heat bulbs. Dean youd probably do alright in the warmer months outside
By evenwind
Apollyon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm They enjoy high humidity and higher temperatures.
That's interesting. As I said, mine were growing under a pierced dome, so maybe the humidity was 80% or so. Or even a bit higher. The temps under my lights in summer are also in the low-80s. So maybe neither wet nor hot enough?
By Apollyon
evenwind wrote:
Apollyon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm They enjoy high humidity and higher temperatures.
That's interesting. As I said, mine were growing under a pierced dome, so maybe the humidity was 80% or so. Or even a bit higher. The temps under my lights in summer are also in the low-80s. So maybe neither wet nor hot enough?
When you said they were responding from being on the top shelf, what came to mind was "heat rises," so it's possible that it hit the threshold. They survive in the 70s but I actually had my aff. lanata go dormant in a dome at 73-75 degrees. I thought it was dying off. It sat outside for time (friend recommended I do it) and then one day it just got to work and kept pushing out new growth. Heating mat may be a good option without having to accommodate some ridiculous setup for a plant. When the temps cool off here in the next few weeks I'll be bringing it in (I don't want it going dormant this year, the plant is effectively 3 cuttings at this point). going to probably keep them in a 10 gallon with a plexiglass cover over a heat mat. I have some indica seedlings that germinated I'll keep with it to justify going through the trouble. :/
By evenwind
I'm going to be really interested on how you guys do with basically the same plant in your various setups.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I'm definitely excited to see how it turns out too. Ordensis has been a thorn to me but it was shipped poorly. I'll be bagging it and keeping it on the mat with my indicas for a time. Maybe we should all make a thread to follow the different plants. It's effectively an experiment lol.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!