FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By uxleumas
so I've been wanting sarrs for awhile now, but I've never gotten one. I would be willing to trade:
all that's included bellow(1 mature cape sundews ,1 vft seedling(~3 months?), 1 sensitive plant and a couple of seeds, 2 different succulent pullings (the strike rate is almost 100% all the ones I've had have strived), and 2 dollars ) for just one Sarr seedling. for some weird reason, my seeds just either never want to sprout or if they do mold just takes over(an when I add sulfur it just stinks up the whole place and does nothing)
By murrkywaters
Have you tried scarifying them? I haven't tried it myself, but I will the next time I get seeds

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
I'd say before, but I'll double check after work. Stratification could make them too mushy to get a good cut in the seed coat. At least that's the case with several cactus varieties.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

uxleumas liked this
By MikeB
uxleumas wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 amfor some weird reason, my seeds just either never want to sprout or if they do mold just takes over(an when I add sulfur it just stinks up the whole place and does nothing)
In the early fall, I sprinkle my Sarracenia seeds on pots covered with sphagnum moss and leave them sitting outside with their parents, to experience the full cold and damp of winter. Come springtime, they sprout like weeds. They don't need any scarification.
By uxleumas
MikeB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:21 am
uxleumas wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 amfor some weird reason, my seeds just either never want to sprout or if they do mold just takes over(an when I add sulfur it just stinks up the whole place and does nothing)
In the early fall, I sprinkle my Sarracenia seeds on pots covered with sphagnum moss and leave them sitting outside with their parents, to experience the full cold and damp of winter. Come springtime, they sprout like weeds. They don't need any scarification.
the only problem is that i live in MA, meaning that it can get as cold as -20 F at times. not exactly good for seeds or plants.
By MikeB
Can you put them in an unheated garage or basement during the winter? Or maybe a windowsill, where you can keep the curtains closed. That would trap a pocket of cool air between the glass and the fabric.
By Drummer230
No scarification needed. It’s important to remember that sarracenia seeds need fresh air during stratification. If you aren’t getting good germination rates it’s probably one of these things:
1. Seeds suffocate and die
2. Seeds/medium isn’t damp enough
3. Seeds are too old
4. Seeds aren’t kept cold long enough
5. Temperatures aren’t warm enough for germination
6. Not allowing enough time for germination

I put seeds in zip lock bags in the refrigerator with a wet paper towel. I spray the paper towel with daconil to prevent fungus. I keep it in the refrigerator for four weeks and open the bag about once per week for fresh air. I keep the temperature around 70 to 80 degrees and give them at least 3 weeks. I Usually have an 80%+ germination rate.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!