FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Durrendal
Hi, I recently acquired a Drosera Adelae. It arrived in... less than ideal conditions but the detoriation just overnight has been astounding. I'm not sure what happened. Can you help me save it?

How it had arrived:

It had arrived in evening so I had kept it inside with a tray of water with 1/2inch water depth.

Condition next morning:

On advice of the seller, I had trimmed off the blackened leaves. I kept it outside in bright light, still in the bowl of water. It got some direct light while I was attending my online classes, but then I removed it to a bright light location.

Condition now:

So, is this is a goner? What could have happened to turn it into this in less than 24hrs? How can I save it?

Frankly, it's hard to get and expensive here so I don't want to lose this. Badly.

Note: traveled just 2 days. Sent potted by seller in Peat moss (personally, I don't know how peat moss looks, so can't tell if it's really that). Got a filliformis and binata along with it and they are alright, no such deterioration yet.

Please help.

Edit: I uprooted it once to check the roots. The lowest roots seem white. So that's a good sign, right??

Couldn't check the roots nearest to the plant since it was caked with peat moss and didn't want to break them by accident.
Last edited by Durrendal on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By That one plant boi
It can definitely be saved. Give it bright light (not direct), warm temperatures, moist substrate and decently humid conditions. From what I can see, the growth point still looks good, so I'll say that it has good chances. I have an adelea that died back to nearly nothing. Recently, it recovered very well and looks to be back to normal again. They are tuff plants, so I wouldn't sweat it to much.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Durrendal, tommyr liked this
By Durrendal
That one plant boi wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:22 pm It can definitely be saved. Give it bright light (not direct), warm temperatures, moist substrate and decently humid conditions. From what I can see, the growth point still looks good, so I'll say that it has good chances. I have an adelea that died back to nearly nothing. Recently, it recovered very well and looks to be back to normal again. They are tuff plants, so I wouldn't sweat it to much.
Good luck!

That's encouraging! Thank you!

But what could have caused this rapid detoriation? I means, seems way too fast..or does this happen?
By Durrendal
uxleumas wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:39 pm that does look like peat moss. i think you should a bag over it to increase humidity and temperatures. give it bright but not direct light (6000k light is great for plants)
Didn't have a bag so put it in an airtight, transparent food container. Temp...I'm in tropics so the temp is already warm I guess? I don't have a light though. Since tropics, and I grow outdoors, never invested in those. Will keeping it in windowsill work? As long as there's no direct sunlight, right?
By That one plant boi
Possibly temperature extremes. Couldn't be sure though. Just keep it in warm, humid and bright conditions and it should (hopefully) bounce back.

Durrendal liked this
By Shadowtski
Drosera adelae is one if the few Sundews that doesn't like full direct all-day sunlight.
It prefers higher humidity, higher temperatures, and lower light.
It is one of the few CP that really loves indoor terrarium conditions.
Just my 02¢ worth.
Mike
Durrendal, Matt liked this
By Durrendal
That one plant boi wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 pm Possibly temperature extremes. Couldn't be sure though. Just keep it in warm, humid and bright conditions and it should (hopefully) bounce back.

I think it's turning black from lower leaves to upper. The growth point is also starting to become black. So, rotting?

I have heard adelae come back from roots. So, how do I care for them to give them a chance for regenerating from roots?
By That one plant boi
Oh no!
I would probably keep caring for it the same way you have, as long as conditions are favorable. You don't want to overdo anything or change the conditions suddenly, as that could throw this already sickly plant into shock.

I believe they can come back from the roots, so just keep the media moist and the environment humid.

How's it doing at the moment?

By P A U L
Let the thing adapt to its new environment. Let it recover from shock. Keeping the substrate moist and leaving it alone is best in my opinion. Give it time to do its own thing. I wouldn't leave it in sunlight one day and then suddenly change its environment again by bringing it indoors. Leave it where you want it to live.
By Adelae
If it dies back to the roots, just keep it in good conditions and treat it like there's still a plant in there. My main one died a month or so ago (heat wave+direct sunlight from a south window :( ), but I have four little plantlets now after keeping the pot moist under brightish indirect light.

Keep an eye on the area around the drainage holes, too, new little plants like to grow out of there when the roots reach light.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!