FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I've read many places that you can use hydrogen peroxide on media to kill pathogens and parasites, including fungus gnat larva. I've also read in a couple of spots about treating seeds prior to sowing for the same reason.
But I'm wondering if anyone has treated their media that contains cp seedlings, specifically drosera seedlings, in order to kill fungus gnat larva or any other critter? What was the outcome? Were the seedlings affected?
I appreciate you sharing your experience if you can.
Chef
By LittleGrower
Hmmm I have tried it several times with my D. Intermedia seedlings and I didn't see any signs of wilting but they were outgrown by the moss so I couldn't save them :(
By Greenthumbs Garden
I used HP to try and kill Gnats when I had a huge problem a few years back. Treated many times without any ill effects to my VFTs but I could not rid the gnats. I had to change media in the end.
By Greenthumbs Garden
yes, I did see a difference in algae, it cleared up but it was short-lived. It was in the day I was overwatering so the algae came back quick. cutting the water and allowing the surface to dry a little in-between did the trick.
By ChefDean
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 pm yes, I did see a difference in algae, it cleared up but it was short-lived. It was in the day I was overwatering so the algae came back quick. cutting the water and allowing the surface to dry a little in-between did the trick.
That's what I'm doing now, running that line of letting it dry out slightly. We'll see how I do.
By P A U L
Based on this post, I'm going to put several squirts of peroxide into a new gallon jug of distilled water... and pour it over my container garden to try and kill the itty bitty little "worm" things that I believe are fungus gnat larvae. This will not harm the plants or damage the roots?

I poured a mixture of neem oil and water into a corner of the garden hoping it'll kill the larvae...but it seems to have not worked. I will be attempting peroxide next. Someone stop me if I'm about to commit flytrapicide.
By ChefDean
Mixed results. I have heard of this working for fungus gnat larvae, but specific posts to this thread have indicated otherwise.
As to it harming your plants, they will be fine. Good luck.
By Propag8
I have just recently used a 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide to 3 parts rainwater on my vft and seedlings to treat fungus gnats. I have applied twice now and only seen one larvae and plants where fine. I took the one larvae out using a skewer and applied the mix directly to it to see how it would react. It definitely doesnt kill on contact like a lot of people say atleast not at this ratio. Im not sure if it drown or was killed by the HP but took a good 10 minutes. Also HP can kill beneficial bacteria too. Anyway turns out gnats are still breeding away so not a miracle treatment but is good for your root system now and again I believe. Apparently avoiding foliage is quite important but my seeds are still sprouting in it, HP quickly breaks down into water and oxygen so it's pretty harmless really.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I've used it a couple of times. Overall, I don't think it does too much. I might not be using the right concentration, only putting a capful into about 12-16 fluid ounces.

I haven't done too much to really measure its effects. All I know is that it usually doesn't harm seedlings. Admittedly I used it a couple of times out of panic when my seedlings don't look too good after seeing fungus gnat larvae. And after that, I usually do a bunch of other stuff before it's too late.

Personally I think neem oil does way more. It usually gets rid of the larvae, and it even killed the algae one time.
By MikeB
The only thing that I've seen is diluted hydrogen peroxide spray to kill mold.
By P A U L
I ended up not diluting the peroxide. I just squirted away like a mad man straight out of the bottle. The bottle itself was from the pharmacy...3%. The plants are fine. I had some seedlings that came into contact with the peroxide, also fine. I picked a random spot of moss to turn over to see if I see any itty bitty movement... saw nothing. Whereas before, doing this would always, always, always reveal at least 1 moving thing.

Because I only checked 1 random spot 1 time... I cannot confirm if this method worked. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
By Carnies
ChefDean wrote:I've read many places that you can use hydrogen peroxide on media to kill pathogens and parasites, including fungus gnat larva. I've also read in a couple of spots about treating seeds prior to sowing for the same reason.
But I'm wondering if anyone has treated their media that contains cp seedlings, specifically drosera seedlings, in order to kill fungus gnat larva or any other critter? What was the outcome? Were the seedlings affected?
I appreciate you sharing your experience if you can.
Chef
It made the peat moss really green and ugly...
By f1appyb1rd
I use diluted H202 whenever I sow nepenthes seeds. When I first receive seeds, I soak them in 1 cup of RO water mixed with about 3/4th teaspoon of H202 for 24-48 hours. And then when I sow the seeds I spray same diluted H202 over the seeds and media to help prevent mold and algae. Seems to help keep nepenthes seeds from molding over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!