FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By motherbucha
I recently got a Drosera Adelae from a sellers who grew his sundews under indoor grow lights. I do not own grow lights so I decided to acclimate my D. Adelae to having direct sunlight indoors. It currently sits by an Eastern facing window, having around 3-4 hours of direct sunlight and around 6-8 hours of indirect bright sunlight. I decided to do this as my country's heat averages 34 degrees Celsius in the morning, and much hotter in the afternoon. I figured my sundews turn crisp if I initially placed them outside for more light. After 5 days, I noticed one of its tentacles turning green. I have seen other sellers who sell their Adelaes green so I am unsure if it's unhealthy or dying. But this is all new to me so I was hoping I could get some advice.

Other facts:
- The plant was unsurprisingly tired after a 2-day journey to my house and has lost some dew from the transport
- Temperature indoors is around 28 degrees Celsius
- It has been raining today so there is not much light
- Humidity in my area ranges from 70%-80%, although I have placed a humidifier beside my droseras just to help with the acclimatization
- Is planted on LFS and is sitting on around 2cm high distilled water
- The D. Spatulata, D. Burmannii, and D. Capillaris I got were not as affected with the changes (or at least not reducing as much dew etc.)

Uploaded photos in the link below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
By ChefDean
This is due to it being in a window. UV from direct sunlight is what primarily causes the plant to go red, kind of a protection from UV. Glass blocks UV, so your plant has no reason to stay red. Many indoor grow lights a emit UV for the benefit of the plant, so the plant turns red under that lighting.
If your plant is growing, producing new leaves, it's just fine. If you want it to turn red, you'll have to put it outside. At 34°C, I probably wouldn't.
motherbucha liked this

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!