FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
Any sansevieria fans here? I've got a couple from rhizome division that have been doing well (despite the best attempts of one curious kitten) I get it has a reputation, but I find it to be a very beautiful plant regardless pothos vines be damned.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

sanguinearocks101 liked this
By murrkywaters
Indirect sun, a 50/50 mix of standard house plant soil and cactus soil, watering lightly every other day during the warmer half of the year, once weekly during the transitional months, and every week and a half during winter. I also flood it occasionally during what is the rainy season in its natural habitat. Supposedly it's more likely to flower if you get the roots to crowd the pot and stress it, but I've still got about a year before that's even a possibility.

By murrkywaters
For reference the second picture has just the larger two leaves were just tips poking out of the soil a year and a half ago. I also live in the mojave so things do dry a bit quicker.

By murrkywaters
Which part? North and east texas can be pretty humid. I grow indoors only, but it's gotten to 90+ °F inside for prolonged periods with no ill effect. Humidity can effect how wet the soil stays, if your rh is above ~20% I'd add more cactus soil or horticultural sand and water less frequently. They need water, but don't like having their roots too wet. I'd air on the dry side. When I water I usually use less than 20 ml. The terracotta pots also help wick excess moisture.

By murrkywaters
So fairly wet air. I am originally from the metroplex, so based on my limited knowledge of Austin I'm gonna guess about 50~60 RH. I'd go for a 2:2:1 mix of potting soil:cactus mix:horticultural sand. You would think that the very tropical D. trifasciata would like wetter soils, but I've found wetter soils = slow growth and root rot. The leaves dont mind the humidity, and I actually mist mine on dry days. For me a humid day is 20% RH so take that for what you will. Other than that dont be afraid to periodically neglect them.

By murrkywaters
Foliar feeding and root of maxsea seems to have a positive effect. Check out this growth tip!

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!