FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
tommyr wrote:
Thanks a lot Matt. I have emphysema and had an air leak from one or 2 bronchial sacks which hurts like a mofo. Lung partially collapsed. You do NOT want to go through what I did last week. I won't go into the gory/painful details, google collapsed lung if interested in learning more. Still sore but glad to be back home. My niece watered my VFTs while I was gone. She's the best.
Jesus man I am really sorry to hear that. That sounds terrible. I'm glad you're ok and back home. Your niece sounds awesome doing that for you. She seems to know how important they are to you. That's really cool man. Hope you start feeling better soon.
tommyr liked this
By EricSg
tommyr wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Matt wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:31 am
tommyr wrote:I just got home from the hospital Sunday after having emergency collapsed lung surgery.
Not to hijack the thread, but....SAY WHAT?!! What happened? Glad you are OK enough to be back on the forums and posting again after surgery.
Thanks a lot Matt. I have emphysema and had an air leak from one or 2 bronchial sacks which hurts like a mofo. Lung partially collapsed. You do NOT want to go through what I did last week. I won't go into the gory/painful details, google collapsed lung if interested in learning more. Still sore but glad to be back home. My niece watered my VFTs while I was gone. She's the best.
Get well soon!
tommyr liked this
By Jagasian
Azoxystrobin’s “greening” effect has been extensively studied in many food crop species. It protects the chloroplasts from damage due to high levels of light radiation. The mechanism by which azoxystrobin’s greening effect works is important if you want to get results.

To get results with Venus flytraps, you need to increase the photoperiod to 16 hours and the light intensity to at least 200 PPFD for that entire 16 hour time period. The light has to be long duration and intense enough to bring the plant near its photosynthetic limit. My plants get deep red traps inside the trap, on the sides of the traps, and the leaves blush red.

Only then can azoxystrobin’s greening effect yield its maximal benefit. Once I apply the azoxystrobin, the red coloring noticeably diminishes and the plant becomes greener. The growth rate is also noticeably increased.

I should also add that I do not make my traps go through winter dormancy. It has been 3.5 years of no dormancy. Just 16 hours of incredibly intense LED grow light every day of the year in a room that is around 75F all year round. So the lack of dormancy is further pushing the plant to its breaking point: full throttle growth.
Matt, elaineo liked this
By Jagasian
EricSg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 pm I have tried this too.

Plants are happy.

But I’m getting more green on the traps.
In fact, the red traps turn back to green sometimes.
When a plant blushes red, it does so for 2 reasons: to attract arthropods and to protect its cellular structures from being damaged by intense light radiation. As you increase light duration and intensity, a flytrap will “color up” more and more, but at a long enough duration and high enough intensity of light, photosynthesis stops increasing because too much radiation damage is taking place at the cellular level. The chloroplasts are like little generators that are being worked too hard.

Azoxystrobin allows for a plant to achieve a higher rate of photosynthesis because it allows the plant to grow under a level of light that would otherwise damage the plant.

So if your flytraps lose their red coloring when you apply azoxystrobin to them, it means it is working, but you can now further increase your plant’s lighting and get even faster growth because the azoxystrobin is protecting the plant from the radiation damage it would otherwise receive from the more intense light.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Jagasian wrote:Azoxystrobin’s “greening” effect has been extensively studied in many food crop species. It protects the chloroplasts from damage due to high levels of light radiation. The mechanism by which azoxystrobin’s greening effect works is important if you want to get results.

To get results with Venus flytraps, you need to increase the photoperiod to 16 hours and the light intensity to at least 200 PPFD for that entire 16 hour time period. The light has to be long duration and intense enough to bring the plant near its photosynthetic limit. My plants get deep red traps inside the trap, on the sides of the traps, and the leaves blush red.

Only then can azoxystrobin’s greening effect yield its maximal benefit. Once I apply the azoxystrobin, the red coloring noticeably diminishes and the plant becomes greener. The growth rate is also noticeably increased.

I should also add that I do not make my traps go through winter dormancy. It has been 3.5 years of no dormancy. Just 16 hours of incredibly intense LED grow light every day of the year in a room that is around 75F all year round. So the lack of dormancy is further pushing the plant to its breaking point: full throttle growth.
That's so interesting that you have gone so long without dormancy. Apparently azoxystrobin slows plant respiration, which reduces stress and allows for more greening [1]. Ordinarily, slower respiration means slower growth. In commercial applications, azoxystrobin is commonly combined with a growth regulator to speed it back up (possibly the same effect as your high intensity lighting). Maybe a fun experiment to combine azoxystrobin with GA3.

1. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/disserta ... I10245880/
By davinstewart
Jagasian wrote:To get results with Venus flytraps, you need to increase the photoperiod to 16 hours and the light intensity to at least 200 PPFD for that entire 16 hour time period. The light has to be long duration and intense enough to bring the plant near its photosynthetic limit.
Sorry to contribute to a zombie thread but I just did the math on this. 200 PPFD for 16 hours = 11.52 DLI ... which is the bare minimum for keeping a flytrap healthy. Here's an article that backs that up.

From my own experience, a DLI of 44 is too high for untreated plants. I tried this using a blurple light and it bleached the live sphagnum top dressing and stunted the growth of the Maroon Monsters that I was growing. To me, a DLI in the mid 20's to 30's is just about right for venus flytraps.

Based on that, I'd recommend trying DLIs in the high 30s or even 40s if you're treating them with azoxystrobin.

If I can arrange for it, I'll try to run a test this season to see what effect azoxystrobin has on plants under high lighting conditions.
Dan V liked this
By Dan V
Thanks for posting - made me go recheck my par readings. I did need to lower my led grow lights and now thinking of upgrading my grow box setup to eliminate the "hotspot" in the middle of the ppfd map.
davinstewart liked this
By jetfire245
Might as well keep this alive because this finding seems very interesting!

I've read everyone's comments here and heard of mixed results.

Ultimately, the scientific findings show it should slow aging of the plant.

I'm off to lowes to buy some of this and try it out with the proportions indicated.

I happen to have a scale for just such an occasion.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!