FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Oliverben17
Hi,
I’m new to keeping carnivorous plants and this is my first attempt. I set up an indoor terrarium and planted it recently, but some of the sundews have a few crispy leaves and seem to be producing less dew. Is this just it acclimating to its new environment or is something wrong? They are under an artificial light for ~16 hours a day, humidity is 60-80% normally around 70, I mist twice a day with rainwater. Thanks!
405A9EAD-28DD-4482-8842-DDD7848B9AE1.jpeg
405A9EAD-28DD-4482-8842-DDD7848B9AE1.jpeg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 2900 times
E999299D-6E8C-40BF-966B-49E17D59F9BC.jpeg
E999299D-6E8C-40BF-966B-49E17D59F9BC.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 2900 times
By Panman
It can take a month or more for the sundew to acclimate itself to a new environment and become dewy. The thing to watch for is the new growth. As it starts putting out new leaves, they should look healthy and have dew. If not, then it is time to start looking at conditions such as light, water, and humidity. I had some capes in full on Georgia sun and they did not like it. The leaves looked okay but they would not develop dew. Once I moved them to a more shaded location, they dewed up nicely.
By Oliverben17
Ok, thanks for replying so quickly. I hope im just being a little paranoid but as I havent kept these before I wanted to make sure. They've only been planted for about a week so hopefully theyll adjust to their new home soon and Ill see some healthy growth
By sanguinearocks101
I highly doubt that your terrarium will do well in the long run, you mixed together temperate and tropical/subtropical plants. Temperate plants either require constant feeding and fertilizing or a dormancy. I would take the sarracenia and vft out as they require a dormancy, I think cephalotus require a dormancy but I’m not sure.
By Oliverben17
The red and yellow pitcher plant is "SH611 Sarracenia CV Vogel", the pure purple is "SH061 Sarracenia Mr Purple Haze" and the purple/white one is a "SH057 Sarracenia cv Bella" as sold by Hampshire Carnivorous Plants (https://www.hantsflytrap.com/) great shop btw.
As for dormancy, I knew as soon as I began planning the terrarium that it'd become an issue but I also stumbled upon this: https://www.reddit.com/r/SavageGarden/c ... terrarium/ - someone thats kept a mix of temperate and tropical CPs in a terrarium successfully for 3 years. Instead of dropping temp he dropped light hours massively and reduced watering and that induced dormancy for him. I intend to try the same thing but if it doesnt work I will have to move certain plants over winter i guess. Still if this guy managed it I'm pretty hopeful all his plants look large and healthy - thread worth a read.
I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!