FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Do_Gon
ApgarTraps wrote:
Do_Gon wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:52 pm
schmeg wrote:You can try sticking long bamboo skewers around the top of the pot.
Interesting idea. How do you mean? Points pointing up to deter critters from dropping down onto the pots?
BEFORE bamboo skewers: https://youtu.be/mYa2xzoXbuk

AFTER bamboo skewers: https://youtu.be/59i1S48Ym4I

Place them pointy-side up, trimmed so the sharp end is right above the surface of the soil. Squirrels HATE that!
Man, that first video is infuriating. Makes you just want to punch a squirrel right in the face. That guy got quite the attitude adjustment though. How far apart did you set your skewers? Have you had any return visits since then?
By ApgarTraps
Yes -- after all the time and energy I invested, and that guy thinks he owns the flowerbox!

I put a lot of skewers in there -- probably spaced 2 inches apart.

It temporarily solved the problem (I've since adopted a more - um - permanent solution to the squirrel problem ;) )
Panman liked this
By Do_Gon
ApgarTraps wrote:Yes -- after all the time and energy I invested, and that guy thinks he owns the flowerbox!

I put a lot of skewers in there -- probably spaced 2 inches apart.

It temporarily solved the problem (I've since adopted a more - um - permanent solution to the squirrel problem ;) )
Thank you so much. I might be able to remove my light diffuser cages now.
By francisfaustino
ApgarTraps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 am (I've since adopted a more - um - permanent solution to the squirrel problem ;) )
??? :D :D :D ???
received_664340657740895.jpeg
received_664340657740895.jpeg (598.13 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
By ApgarTraps
francisfaustino wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:00 am
ApgarTraps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 am (I've since adopted a more - um - permanent solution to the squirrel problem ;) )
??? :D :D :D ???
received_664340657740895.jpeg
That's it! :D :D :D

I was looking for that post of yours post to copy.
By francisfaustino
ApgarTraps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:44 pm That's it! :D :D :D

I was looking for that post of yours post to copy.
Just remember the three S' of backyard hunting... Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By optique
60% of the squirrel problems is having your plants near a wall/fence/rail they love to walk along that type of structure where they feel safe and why not stop to smell the roses or eat the VTF's

i keep the majority of my pants in deep tubs, its not they cant get in the tub it just it puts them in a vulnerable position they would rather avoid or at least i feel that's why they stay out.

If you feel the need to "hunt" them try the .22 subsonic ammo its very accurate and has almost no sound out of a long rifle. you can pick it up from walmart (but trust me its a very short term solution )
By Benny
I have a .22 Benjamin air rifle. 950 FPS. Works better with the nicer ammo. Plus, they are pretty silent.
By Adriana
Management is the best solution, don't have it along a rail like optique said, don't have under/near a bird feeder where seed will fall, and using any management technique (covering with wire etc) is best. There are always more squirrels where that one came from, and they were here first anyway. They are more ecologically important to their native area than we are.

The other thing I'll mention again, if you find they want to dig up and chomp the tubers of plants, is to leave out a shallow dish of water. Lots of times critters are just looking for clean water when they take a few bites of tomato or other watery fruits/tubers. We drain away natural sources of water in areas we build houses, so they are looking to fill that basic need.
By Do_Gon
Here is my idea of an elegant solution to the pests problem. Now, if anything gets me plants I feel like they've earned em. ImageImage
Matt liked this
By Copper2
Benny wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:48 am I have a .22 Benjamin air rifle. 950 FPS. Works better with the nicer ammo. Plus, they are pretty silent.
That’s what I used on my friend. Works well
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!