FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By anissa
Hi everyone!
It all started when I picked up the ubiquitous N. ventrata on a whim...now about one year and 7 other species/hybrids later, I've come to terms with the fact that this train cannot be stopped :D

Looking to learn and slowly improve my knowledge and indoor setup. Right now it is a bit shabby and homegrown (I'm not a veteran DIYer building my own greenhouses, yet...though for the plants' sake, who knows what can happen). Fortunately, 6 of the 7 are pitchering just fine and the last is about to after being sprayed for thrips :)
I would love to become a more serious grower.

Located in Southern California! Excited to meet you all :D
By Apollyon
Welcome! Same here, I started off with a pinguicula and fly trap for some indoor gnat troubles and found myself with a host of plants. Neps have been a recent kick for me too. Very rewarding and each seems to have their own character
anissa liked this
By Apollyon
@anissa, Honestly I have a couple lol. Favorites that I have are veitchii, ampularia black miracle and naga. Most are still quite small lol. The ampularia and naga are showing a lot of color though (if darkbrown/black is considered a color :lol:)
Do you have a favorite?
anissa liked this
By anissa
@Apollyon, all of those you mentioned are so beautiful! Especially Naga, those dark pitchers look incredible. Alas, I don't have a highland setup...someday...Ampullaria is adorable too, for some reason the solid green form looks really appealing to me so I'm on the lookout for one to order :)
One other favorite of mine in addition to the ones you listed is jacquelinae. I'm actually getting a spathulata x jacquelinae in the mail soon so I'm very excited to see how it does! Hopefully it inherited at least some of that stunning peristome.

Thanks @Matt and @Lyra!
By Apollyon
@anissa, Yeah, I have a feeling that it'll rank number one when it finally gets going. I've been debating putting it outside. I only purchased it because carnivero claimed they saw it at an intermediate altitude. I've had decent luck growing my own highlands in average conditions, no drop off. Probably not the best they can be but they don't look bad. The green ampularias are really cool. They're starting to grow on me. I saw a "lime twist" I'd like to get my hands on if they release them again. Those are straight lowland so I have it outside now. Jacquelinae looks awesome. I'd love to have some wild one like that eventually, like that or lowii. Carnivero actually has one for sale right now. That peristome is wild, I'm sure it inherited something from it. Like how veitchii influences a hybrid.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!