FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By djinseok21
Hi all,

I've been in the hobby for about 7 years, but I am no means an expert in the topic. I have always grown my Lowland and Highland Nepenthes in terrariums, but I was wondering if "Nepenthes burbidgeae x sibuyanensis" would do well as a windowsill plant. I usually grow species, so I don't really have a clue about hybrids/hybrid culture. (Other than that they are "easier," "faster growing," and have 'hybrid vigour" in some circumstances.) I have above average conditions on the windowsill: always 53%+ humidity with 27C-21C(80F-70F) during the day and 24C-20C(75F-68F.) The exposure is facing west and is unobstructed.

Both of the parent plants are highland/intermediate, but I am curious as to what you may think. Thank you in advance.

Jin
By Apollyon
Can't honestly say myself, I've heard sibuyanensis can be temperamental with conditions. I believe I heard that plants tend to acquire tolerance for conditions from the mother plant? I can say that I grow a glabrata x aristo hybrid out of a terrarium in relative conditions. Before I did, it was growing faster than the other aristo hybrid I had in a terrarium. Now it's having a hard time producing pitchers at 55-60% humidity. It doesn't appear to mind the temps though, produces leaves. It's beginning to pitcher. I've considered a moss totem to create higher humidity around the plant. Something like that may be something to consider. It may be "just enough" to push it into producing decent pitchers though I don't think either plant would do nearly as well as it would closer to the ideals. The other hybrid has passed it up now.
djinseok21 liked this
By DesertLlama
From what I've learned and read, the species and hybrids that do best in relatively low humidity are those with thick, waxy, and/or hairy leaves. Ventricosa, maxima, veitchii, and truncata are a few examples. Hybrids of these should have similar tolerance. I haven't grown sibuyanensis or burbidgeae but if they have some of the traits I mentioned, they may do well. Those temps sound fine for an intermediate plant. To add to Apollyon's suggestion, you might also consider a room humidifier near your plants to improve pitchering if it seems like they don't like it so dry.

I recently acquired a ventricosa x lowii which I'm growing in 30-40% RH. I would think with the waxy ventricosa leaves and woody lowii pitcher traits that it could acclimate well but if anyone has experience with this hybrid, let me know if I'm wrong!
djinseok21 liked this
By dreadnostic
Greeting,

I'm growing the plant and have yet to get a pitcher. I'm growing intermediate (facing west, plenty of afternoon sun) and think is will to pickup as we get into fall. I've also considered growing it inside if it doesn't pick up. good luck
djinseok21 liked this
By djinseok21
Apollyon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 am Can't honestly say myself, I've heard sibuyanensis can be temperamental with conditions. I believe I heard that plants tend to acquire tolerance for conditions from the mother plant? I can say that I grow a glabrata x aristo hybrid out of a terrarium in relative conditions. Before I did, it was growing faster than the other aristo hybrid I had in a terrarium. Now it's having a hard time producing pitchers at 55-60% humidity. It doesn't appear to mind the temps though, produces leaves. It's beginning to pitcher. I've considered a moss totem to create higher humidity around the plant. Something like that may be something to consider. It may be "just enough" to push it into producing decent pitchers though I don't think either plant would do nearly as well as it would closer to the ideals. The other hybrid has passed it up now.
Yea I used to have a Sibuyanensis and it was very fussy in terms of temps, but that may be just that clone. Thanks for your information!
By djinseok21
DesertLlama wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:53 pm From what I've learned and read, the species and hybrids that do best in relatively low humidity are those with thick, waxy, and/or hairy leaves. Ventricosa, maxima, veitchii, and truncata are a few examples. Hybrids of these should have similar tolerance. I haven't grown sibuyanensis or burbidgeae but if they have some of the traits I mentioned, they may do well. Those temps sound fine for an intermediate plant. To add to Apollyon's suggestion, you might also consider a room humidifier near your plants to improve pitchering if it seems like they don't like it so dry.

I recently acquired a ventricosa x lowii which I'm growing in 30-40% RH. I would think with the waxy ventricosa leaves and woody lowii pitcher traits that it could acclimate well but if anyone has experience with this hybrid, let me know if I'm wrong!
I should just stick to species lol! I have Burbidgeae and it is actually really easy. It takes warmer temps really well, but I do give it more optimal conditions. (89%+ Humidity and a Daytime high of 80F(27C) with Nightime temps in the upper 50s(15C-14C.)) I suggest trying it!
By djinseok21
dreadnostic wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm Greeting,

I'm growing the plant and have yet to get a pitcher. I'm growing intermediate (facing west, plenty of afternoon sun) and think is will to pickup as we get into fall. I've also considered growing it inside if it doesn't pick up. good luck
Thanks for the information!
By sanguinearocks101
djinseok21 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 am Hi all,

I've been in the hobby for about 7 years, but I am no means an expert in the topic. I have always grown my Lowland and Highland Nepenthes in terrariums, but I was wondering if "Nepenthes burbidgeae x sibuyanensis" would do well as a windowsill plant. I usually grow species, so I don't really have a clue about hybrids/hybrid culture. (Other than that they are "easier," "faster growing," and have 'hybrid vigour" in some circumstances.) I have above average conditions on the windowsill: always 53%+ humidity with 27C-21C(80F-70F) during the day and 24C-20C(75F-68F.) The exposure is facing west and is unobstructed.

Both of the parent plants are highland/intermediate, but I am curious as to what you may think. Thank you in E
Jin
I believe that both N. burbidgeae and sibuyanensis do not hold more than a few pitchers at a time. N. burbidgeae also is hard to get to pitcher. If it is doing good in its current arrangement and pitchering I would leave it there. Or test out how it does on the windowsill and if it does good then leave it there.
djinseok21 liked this
By djinseok21
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 am
djinseok21 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 am Hi all,

Both of the parent plants are highland/intermediate, but I am curious as to what you may think. Thank you in E
Jin
I believe that both N. burbidgeae and sibuyanensis do not hold more than a few pitchers at a time. N. burbidgeae also is hard to get to pitcher. If it is doing good in its current arrangement and pitchering I would leave it there. Or test out how it does on the windowsill and if it does good then leave it there.
I actually do not have the hybrid yet; I am just doing some research haha. I do have burbidgeae and it pitchers fine for me in its highland set up, but I don't think I will be putting it on my windowsill anytime soon.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!