FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Caleron
Until recently they both seemed fairly happy. Then relativise the quickly one started to look way worse. New to all of this so really have limited knowledge .
Attachments:
C863549D-F4AE-4DD6-AF7F-CEABD1CFD8B4.jpeg
C863549D-F4AE-4DD6-AF7F-CEABD1CFD8B4.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 1883 times
By ChefDean
They both look pretty bad.
Do those pots have drainage? They may be drowning. VFT's like moist, but not swimming. Plus, what water are you using? Tap? Rain? Distilled?
Next, not enough light. These things need the equivalent of about 12+ hours of sunlight. Light filtered through a window doesn't cut it. Get them outside in an area that gets dappled light and gradually move them into at least 6 hours of direct sunlight, preferably in the morning.
What media are they planted in? That could have an impact if not in peat or sphagnum moss.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but we need more info to help.
By Caleron
Thanks for replying man :) . They are in normal plastic pots housed within a plastic beaker type thing. I thought considering there was a gap at the bottom between the pot and the bottom of the beaker that the water would evaporate in that section. As for water, I have been collecting rain water and making an effort to keep them moist but not too wet or dry. I believe it is housed in peat moss, it was purchased from a household goods store here in the uk. I have had them outside before but not on a daily basis.
Attachments:
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1861 times
By ChefDean
Good info to go on. I made a lot of mistakes when I first started growing cp's, then I found this forum and got good, solid info.
Based on that and my experiences, here's what I would suggest.
First, repot into what you know to be peat or sphagnum moss. It's possible that the media it's in has too many nutrients and minerals for the plants.
Next, you can use the same setup you have, but I suggest drilling a very small hole in the bottom of the pink pot to allow water to drain slowly. That way you can water the plant when the moss is almost dry, allow it to sit in the water to absorb as much as possible, with the excess water being allowed to drain out. Keep using the rain water, good choice, and it's free.
Last, put them outside where they are always shaded for now. They'll get much better light outside in the shade than they will on a sunny windowsill. But put them somewhere that they're sheltered from bad, pounding storms. Plus, being outside, any excess water will drain out, no other tray needed. Every week put them in the direct morning sunlight for an hour a day, increase the time an hour per day each successive week until you get to a minimum of 6 hours direct morning light a day.
VFT's are tough, yours should recover with a little care.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!