FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By lilshophorror
Hello,

I am new to the carnivorous plant family. My brother actually got me into them since March of this year. When the pandemic started he started growing some cooking herbs and needed something to keep the flys away. He was telling me about finding some venus fly traps and I also needed some entertainment so I thought "Of course!!" I have always been drawn to them since the movie Little Shops of Horror. I did buy one back then but I was young and did not know how to take care of them until now. So here I am...

I currently have 4 flytraps, 4 pitcher plants, and 4 sundews.

I have to say that my favorites are my flytraps!! I rescued 4 from the local home improvement store and gave 2 to my brother. But the 2 that I kept have turned out amazing!! I actually split 1 since the leaves were so close together and no more would fit and ended up with 2 more. 1 is till a baby but it's starting to grow!! I also purchased a red dragon flytrap and it is absolutely beautiful as well. So I actually have a total of 5 counting the tiny baby one.

I have been working on my pitcher plants and sundews since those were the last ones I have purchased. Struggling some with these but some are starting to come around.

I have 4 different nepenthes. The one that has been great was my first purchase that is my Nepenthes Ventrata. This one came with 2 pitchers already on the plant and 1 that was growing, to having 3 full pitchers and now 3 more coming! I also have a Nepenthes Diana, and two types of Nepenthes Ventricosa (Denver x AG3) and (Denver x (k)). These are struggling. Or I'm struggling with them. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with these but I am not giving up on them.

I also have 4 sundews: Drosera rotundifolia, Pinguicula rotundiflora, Drosera esterhuyseniae x slackii, and Drosera capensis "Albino". My capensis and esterhuyseniae just started to show signs of thriving. My Drosera rotundifolia is showing amazing signs and starting to sprout beautifully!! My Pinguicula on the other hand is not doing so well. Not really sure what is going on there but again I am still not giving up on it.

So that's me and my plant family!!

Hope to get some great assistance from others here. If there is anything that I can help with, please let me know. I know I am new to this, but I have seen such a difference in my plants that I can share some of my tips as well. Especially my traps! Those are my prides and joy!!
By Panman
Welcome to the forums. Flytraps are the gateway drug. Next thing you know, you're trolling ebay for some rare Nepenthes. It sounds that your collection is growing nicely. Keep an eye out for the giveaways. It is a great way to add to your collection.
lilshophorror liked this
By hungry carnivores
Welcome! Or, like Panman does said, you may find yourself trying in vain for tubers. Pings are what i'd recommend in Fla. PM me if you'd like, we'll see if we can work something out to get you some pups.
lilshophorror liked this
I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!