FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jiacheow
Today I observed a house gecko repeatedly visiting the pitchers of one of my nepenthes gracilis “squat” plants. It’ll “hug” the pitchers (which are only slightly larger than itself) and constantly lick at the lid/peristome, and scuttle away whenever I got close so I wasn’t able to take a good picture, but it always came back soon after. My gracilis “squat” pitchers are usually glistening with large droplets of sticky nectar around the lids, so I think our gecko friend might be attracted by the nectar - didn’t look like it was attracted by insect prey alone as it was licking the pitchers non stop.

Here’s someone else’s picture of the same behavior from a different gecko species: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEu9_3IhFab/
By Greenthumbs Garden
awsome! We have loads of geckos were we live and we get so many on our terraced catching flys and i never seen them pay any interest in my neps. love the pic!
By jiacheow
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:06 pm awsome! We have loads of geckos were we live and we get so many on our terraced catching flys and i never seen them pay any interest in my neps. love the pic!
The picture is not mine. The gecko I saw was just an ordinary house gecko. :)
By jiacheow
Berrybob wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:56 pm Cool! I wish we had geckos up where I am.
They poop A LOT especially around windowsills and lights, where they usually hang out to wait for insects attracted by the light. I don’t mind them too much, some people hate them with a passion. :mrgreen:
Berrybob liked this

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!