FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
first try with getting Nepenthes seeds. the female flower is growing so large, is it going to have seeds?
Ben Goudge liked this
By Ben Goudge
Since the seed pods have grown much longer, yes, I think it is. What kind is it? Maybe donate some to the forum seed bank?
By ChefDean
optique wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 pm female is ventrata from local garden center, the male is the common red ventricosa.
so very very common parentage.
Common parentage, but uncommon offering. If you were to get seeds, I would suggest you try to get them out ASAP. Nepenthes seeds have about a 3 month reliable shelf life with middling care, 12 month shelf life with exceptional care.
Maybe host numerous giveaways as the pods ripen, sell them for cheap, donate to the seed bank if necessary.
I would try to get them out as a bonus if they were in the seed bank, perhaps test germinate some myself, just to give them the best chance possible due to their very short viability.
Just my thoughts.
Chef
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By optique
I would love grow them all and see what happens but i just don't have the winter time room. I think i could do like a 12in pot of seeds for myself and give the rest to the Seed Bank, If every thing turns out ok with the seedpods(they are outside after all)

I watched a video on nepenthe's seeds so i think i am looking for them to start cracking open to harvest. not sure how to mail them, the size of the seed pods has me nervous that is a US quarter in the pic.
By ChefDean
The seeds themselves are small, but long. Think of a dried blade of grass, about an inch long, with a slight bump in the middle. Each pod will likely have around 40 seeds, give or take.
You can mail them tucked into an origami envelope, no problem.
The biggest hurdle is time, fresh is best. Like Pinguicula seeds, they have an optimal viability within the first three months. After that, they rapidly go downhill to be pretty much done after a year.
Good luck.
By optique
Just a update,

The color is starting to change on the seed pods and it looks like its getting heavy, vine laying down now.

notice the 2nd flower starting on the upper vine, wish i still had a male in bloom.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hey, I have a flower coming on my Nepenthes. I'm sure it's a male. Do you need any pollen? I could send some over and we could split the seeds. Here's what it looks like:

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post ... ml#p362157
By optique
No the current bloom is taking so long i decided to not try the 2nd. I want to get this thing chopped up and rooted before winter, multi 5ft+ vines take up way to much space in the house.

I have been checking the seed pods every day as soon as i give one a squeeze and it cracks open i will harvest all seeds
By Painley
My ventrata also flowered this year yet I did not polinate it due to rumers that it is sterile. Seed pods swelled and I even busted it to see that it decided to produce seed. However I can almost garentee they are not viable. Very strange.
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!