FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
Apollyon how hard do you find it to sell any carnivorous plants? Do they go quite easily or are you stuck with them for a while? I know your in the US so might be different for me but I need to get rid of a few vft divisions once they are a bit larger to make room for new clones in my collection just don't know if I could sell them very easily.
By Apollyon
Propag8 wrote:Apollyon how hard do you find it to sell any carnivorous plants? Do they go quite easily or are you stuck with them for a while? I know your in the US so might be different for me but I need to get rid of a few vft divisions once they are a bit larger to make room for new clones in my collection just don't know if I could sell them very easily.
I wouldn't know lol, I've never tried to sell. Im looking to start however. Just from observation though, it appears like anything else. If you have a plant that is desirable and uncommon, it'll move right away. Things like a capensis probably won't unless you do them for like 3 bucks or 2 for -price-

If you have divisions from a cultivar, I'm sure you could do well to post it on here for uk people or the uk carnivorous plant forum. I've seen a lot of things move on this forum. Binatas and the like as well. Most of my stuff are pinguiculas that I've propped when I received the plants. I think size is a factor not only on price but if it's wanted. For instance, I got a ping from california carnivores a couple weeks ago which was a real disappointment. Had I known it was little more than a rooted cutting I wouldn't have even bothered. The plant was dying back to the crown and the leaves it had were done.

Facebook is actually a good option too. Purging groups or CP groups have people selling plants all the time as well. Set a price and see how they do.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Thanks apollyon. Yeah I figured the same thing really. It's surprising after all the care, time and attention that goes into some of these plants that the value doesn't reflect that. I'm not looking to make much money on anything I sell as it's just surplus I just want to shift them for extra space but it would be nice to have enough cash to re-invest into your own collection. Like you mentioned you bought a ping from a reputable nursery and it was tiny where as us enthusiasts would want to sell something high quality but can't demand nursery prices. Then I suppose technically it's a second-hand market. :( oh and good luck on Mikeb "GRUN" giveaway I wish I lived in the states lol.
By Apollyon
Yeah, that is pretty unfortunate. With CPs it seems like availability is the factor. There's a UK grower who has different cultivars like "GJ Bloody Nurse" or something like that. Those kinds of flytraps are wild but they aren't really here in the states. They're expensive, like $150-300+ USD currently lol. I'd love to have that one when it catches on and gets propped in TC over here. Hopefully Matt can get a hold of one lol.
Propag8, Matt liked this
By Propag8
HOW MUCH!!! That's crazy. FTS cultivars are pretty rare here now Matt can't ship them. Nobody is selling purple ambush here but I managed to get one but it's in recovery. I noticed all the prices seem very high in the states for cultivars in general. The highest price I've found here from a nursery is £25 and they were Fts maroon monster and fts lunatic fringe. I think Europe is cheaper still. I'll paddle a boat to you with a GJ bloody nurse for that price lol.
By Apollyon
Makes sense. All about availability. US plants won't be readily available so they can charge what someone is willing to pay. Nepenthes are notorious with that. A lot of people import the very expensive ones because the prices overseas is worth the risk of transit. I believe they're insured though. Plant for like 100 in the UK sells for over 300 here sometimes. Hamatas for instance.
By Propag8
Hmmm (carnivorous plant smuggler) :D suddenly sounds like a promising career change lol.
Apollyon liked this
By Sp0nser
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:39 pm Portable AC units with ducting connections are available at Amazon and other places.
The unit is placed at a remote location and cooling and return air ducts are connected on each end.

These are more expensive but they would be ideally suited for your application.
I dont see any anywhere, can you give me a link to one of these ac units to know what i am looking for?
By Shadowtski
I was wrong about the remote capability.
Checking again, the ones most commonly found have the AC unit in the room to be cooled.
There is an exhaust tube/duct to get rid of the heat produced by the AC unit.
This has to be routed away from the area to be cooled.
Here is one example.
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BPA ... 451&sr=8-4

Sorry about the previous error.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:There's a UK grower who has different cultivars like "GJ Bloody Nurse" or something like that. Those kinds of flytraps are wild but they aren't really here in the states. They're expensive, like $150-300+ USD currently lol. I'd love to have that one when it catches on and gets propped in TC over here. Hopefully Matt can get a hold of one lol.
Working on it! Adrien is going to trade me his division of GJ Bloody Nurse. It might take a year or two to get it into TC but I'll do my best to get it out ASAP! I love bombing those super-high priced plants down to within reach of most, if not all, grower's budgets!!
Apollyon, Propag8, Adriana liked this
By Apollyon
Awesome man, that cultivar is stellar! I look forward to it. Hopefully I don't forget about it when the time comes lol. Right? That's how it should be. If I ever find myself doing TC in the future, I'll probably be doing the same thing.
By dreadnostic
Greeting,

Had the same issue starting with grow house. I'm keeping mine on the lanai and growing mostly lowland, intermediates and pushing the limits on a few highlighters. I had a portable AC (about 8000 btu) and it worked best when the doors and windows were closed, but humidity took a hit. I'm using a large portable swamp cooler now. It's holding around 86 during the heat of the day. Whatever you try you'll have to compensate between light and humidity. Once the sunlight hit the greenhouse the humidity plummets, I boosted my humidity by adding a few pond foggers. Good luck and happy growing

Dreadnostic
Attachments:
swampfan.jpg
swampfan.jpg (294.57 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
greenhouse.jpg
greenhouse.jpg (506.09 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
By PlanT640847401
DIY swamp cooler and water misters are a cheap way of cooling things down. I have a greenhouse that gets to 95 degrees, but theres always water on my neps from the misters and that lets them cool down. Only downside is the unsightly salt build-up on leaves, i scrape it off when i see it.

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!