FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Drummer230
I have some nepenthes growing indoors under lights. Temperatures are 80 during the day and upper 60s at night. Humidity fluctuates between 50% and 70%. Leaves are reddish from light. They all produce new leaves and pitchers, but they never seem to grow any bigger. Planted in a mix of peat/perlite/orchid bark. Definitely not getting leaf jumps. I started fertilizing every two weeks with maxsea about 2 months ago (through soil), but no progress yet. Help? I feel defeated.

Image all veitchii hybrids
Image truncata Pasian red (I’ve had this over a year!)
Image truncata
Image Bloody Mary (probably two years old!)
By optique
I have been using New Zealand sphagnum moss and perlite with good success, but i do stick to the easy to grow stuff. The most fussy thing i have is a hamata x ventricosa and it gets upset for a month when i put it outside for the summer and then grows like crazy after it adjusts.

Winter time pitcher

Summer time outside pitcher
Drummer230 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
They like to grow in sphagnum moss. For my truncata/veichiis, I use a mix of 2:2:1 sphag: perlite: orchiata bark . For most my other neps I simply use 1:1 sphag: perlite. For more ultramafic species such as palawanensis, rajah, and argentii I use 1:1:1 sphag: perlite: turface. Also, if you're wanting huge leaf jumps decrease the light. It will make the new pitchers smaller, but the leaves bigger.
By Drummer230
Dang it! I hate Sphagnum as a medium, but I guess I’ll have to give it a try and see what happens. I feel like everything else is dialed in.

I’m building a special growing area for just nepenthes right now. I really want to be able to grow them. I don’t necessarily need leaf jumps, I just want some kind of progress! :D

Thanks for the help guys.
By ChefDean
Drummer, I know you hate LFSM, but you saw my Ventricosa. It was one quarter that size when I got it last year, but, other than a little sunburn, it's doing pretty good.
Of course it helped we had a crap ton of Japanese Beetles and June Bugs, and I stuffed the pitchers full of them. (Holy moly those pitchers stink now)
Give it a shot, but hurry. LFSM is a little more available now than a few months ago, but it's still a little scarce.
I have some if you want to experiment. Let's repot the Lady Luck into LFSM and see how she responds.
Drummer230 liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Try feeding through the pitchers instead of (or in addition too) through the roots. For some reason, under my conditions, that seems to make a real difference.
Hurtrus liked this
By Drummer230
Thanks for all the help guys. I just build a new grow chamber that should help keep humidity high. I snagged some lfsm from eBay, so I’ll repot them all this week when it gets here. I’ll also start putting some maxsea in the pitchers. Hopefully I’ll have some luck!
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!