FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hopefully it turns out halfway like I think it would. Thanks man.

I honestly don't know. Provided it doesn't need some kind of highland drop off it would probably do pretty good out here. I grow the petiolaris complex outside in direct sun. If I keep them inside they seem to go dormant. For them, they seem to do better the hotter it is.

My climate is great for things like seed germination, rooting cuttings and humidity for things like lowland Nepenthes provided I have the right shade on them. I'm actually about to build a structure for them. Currently I have a few outside my patio in the shade just outside but it appears that even that is too much light. My friend has good success with a 50% shade cloth that he fitted over an amazon bought pop up greenhouse. I might try something like that as well when I have enough of them. Only have 4 Nepenthes that I'd trust outside right now. He says he can grow highland stuff outside as well but at best it would probably just fumble along.

That's cool though because you could probably grow things like Darlingtonia much easier if you wanted to. I know what you mean though. I'm hardening off trees to keep them outside to make room for my plants. Run out of space before long loll. Need another grow rack
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Aw man, that all sounds cool! I wish I could do half the stuff in my climate as you & your local buddy can. Learning how to appropriately germinate & successfully clone are two objectives on my ‘list.’

His idea of using a shade cloth extended over a pop up greenhouse sounds clever. I was trying to grow some Sarracenia on one shelf of my grow tent/rack, and my nepenthes on another with a small tarp covering them from any strong, direct light. None died, but they all were much slower growing (due to the yellow spectrum overpowering the blue). Your buddy is using actual sunlight here, though!

Your mention of Darlingtonia here makes sense. Unfortunately (very unfortunate, I feel), I was told my biology professor that my climate’s humidity index is not conducive for that particular genus. The same teacher told me to look into temperate drosera.

I am seriously considering getting a heliamorpha to try, as I recently got new grow lights. The guy who sold me the lights was growing them like crazy (on a video I saw) under the same fixtures.

They are both very intriguing genera, to me. Have you ever grown any darlingtonia or heliamorpha?

Edit: ‘heteromorpha’ to heliamorpha.’ :roll:
By Apollyon
I've had great luck germinating and cloning with a combo of a T5 and 1020 tray with a humidity dome. Kept a foot or 18 inches away is fine. I just sprouted some VFT seeds yesterday with that. If the plant is hardy to my climate I can just put it outside and let it do its thing. In the summer the lowest humidity gets is about 85% lol.

When he showed me a pic of what he did that was my idea. I was like "Damn that's clever" lol. I was thinking of building a bench but having the legs extend upwards to create posts and creat ea shade environment with an opening facing my house but he seems to do fine with that. He must've staked it or something because hurricane season is no joke. Pretty sure he got the whole thing set up for less than a hundred bucks. Says he grows some highlands in there but we don't have much of a temperature drop off. Perhaps he acclimated them.

I definitely want to keep my maximas and ampularia in the sun under shade though, I know they would grow much better than a shady side of the house. I have a raff x mira hybrid that grows outside but it can get red spots just from the morning light before it shades. It grows though it is frustrating (not enough room inside).

Darlingtonia is actually my next goal. I just received some seeds from a forum member and I have them stratifying right now. They do well with cooler roots so a resourceful guy I met grows his in a "zeer pot" rigged to be a refrigerated plant pot. It allows him to use the wind to create evaporative cooling and chill the roots without having to do goofy things like ice cubes. That guy grows in New York outside. I know a guy out here who grows them but he has to bring them in during the hotter months. I think with a zeer pot I can get a few more weeks out of the natural light but ultimately it gets too hot.

They're native in a similar zone but we have zero elevation so we don't get the temp dropoffs at night. If it's 90 in the day it drops to maybe 79 at night. It stays hot, which kinda sucks.

Helis are a maybe one day. If I stay in Florida I'd need to invest and create a highland chamber to get the most out of them. I could probably *grow* them but not very well. Amazing plants though.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Apollyon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:24 am I've had great luck germinating and cloning with a combo of a T5 and 1020 tray with a humidity dome. Kept a foot or 18 inches away is fine...

...In the summer the lowest humidity gets is about 85% lol...

...I definitely want to keep my maximas and ampularia in the sun under shade though, I know they would grow much better than a shady side of the house. I have a raff x mira hybrid that grows outside but it can get red spots just from the morning light before it shades. It grows though it is frustrating (not enough room inside)...

...They do well with cooler roots so a resourceful guy I met grows his in a "zeer pot" rigged to be a refrigerated plant pot. It allows him to use the wind to create evaporative cooling and chill the roots without having to do goofy things like ice cubes. That guy grows in New York outside...

...If it's 90 in the day it drops to maybe 79 at night. It stays hot, which kinda sucks...

...I'd need to invest and create a highland chamber to get the most out of them. I could probably *grow* them but not very well. Amazing plants though.
All awesome info that I greatly appreciate, once again. I am going to give it a try, you’ve convinced me. I quoted specific text blocks because I am very curious to know more about your maxima experience. Moreover, I’d like to know if you know of anyone selling seeds that you think may fit under my grow lights. I have a mister that puts out a chilling mist; made for reptiles. I wonder if darlingtonia might sprout & grow in my tent conditions. If it’s not odd or any trouble, may I send you a DM about these topics? No worries if not; the internet is a potentially scary place. :?
By Apollyon
zendercosm_11 wrote: awesome info that I greatly appreciate, once again. I am going to give it a try, you’ve convinced me. I quoted specific text blocks because I am very curious to know more about your maxima experience. Moreover, I’d like to know if you know of anyone selling seeds that you think may fit under my grow lights. I have a mister that puts out a chilling mist; made for reptiles. I wonder if darlingtonia might sprout & grow in my tent conditions. If it’s not odd or any trouble, may I send you a DM about these topics? No worries if not; the internet is a potentially scary place. :?
Feel free to message me man, it's no trouble.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By Apollyon
Added some seeds I'm germinating as well as couple of impulse buys. New VFT (Dracula) and Nepenthes Naga (which I'm actually really excited about). Also decided to expand on my pygmy drosera collection. I love those little plants lol.
Matt liked this
By Apollyon
Updated list to include two Nepenthes (BE Veitchii and BE Rafflesiana) as well as an interesting new ping (Sumidero I). Ping is already showing some growth after a couple of days! Seems to like the new conditions (Which is awesome, it's a neat little plant). Purchased some Byblis Liniflora seeds off Etsy from AK Carnivores as an experiment for my GA3 I have. Looking to work with GA3 (provided it's authentic) as a tool for germination and growth. We'll see how it goes. Any luck and I can use it to prop my byblis aquatica (which is my goal).
By Apollyon
Major update: Included a group of new drosera that I've acquired over the last month and a shipment I just received.

Today was something special though. Today I received one of my favorite CPs of all: Cephalotus 'Eden Black'. The cultivar is amazing and grabbed me the moment I saw it. Thank you to francisfaustino for contacting me and offering me a division from his mother plant. I had been following his thread for some time. The division is fairly mature too, turning out decent sized adult pitchers. I'm so excited man!
Last edited by Apollyon on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Apollyon
ritanari31 wrote:
Propag8 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:23 pm You probably won't stop. The road to recovery is first admitting you have a problem but hey whos going to admit that lol.
Looking forward to next season where I'll begin to see some flowering. Want to experiment with making some hybrid pings.
That's where I'm at lol. I've been propagating my pings often because I want to experiment with some crosses and some complex crosses further down the road.
By Apollyon
Updated the list to include a couple plants from giveaways and some stray purchases I forgot to add before.

Last couple of weeks have been awesome for seed germination. I took a gamble and experimented with Byblis seeds using Gibberellic Acid (GA3), something I never would've seen myself doing a year ago. It's rewarding to see it actually worked; it was a first attempt. I have other species of Byblis I plan to use it on here as something to keep me busy during the "off-season" topic48372.html

Aside from those though, I was equally excited to see my tuberous Auriculata seeds sprouted today! Those are just as wonky with their criteria for germinating. I didn't use GA3 for those, I went the natural route of planting in early September. I had thought I lost them because I covered the seeds with a top layer of sand, which eventually crusted over. I scraped the top layer of sand off (probably losing seeds in the process) and put it under a humidity dome to prevent the top layer from drying out again. I was excited to see one in each pot poking through the sand :D That gives me a chance to propagate the plant in the future. Hopefully I'll see a few more over the next week.

Also had some VFT and Drosera Spatulata x Ultramafica sprout up. Awesome stuff.
Panman liked this
By Apollyon
Got a few new Sarracenia plants from Mike Wang. Always a good experience.
By Apollyon
Updated to include some new utriculatria, sarracenia and a couple of new drosera. Now I'm officially running out of space lol.
By hungry carnivores
Awesome. That seems to be how it goes. Buy plants, trade plants, run out of room, make another grow-chamber and invade your personal room.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Sowed probably an excessive amount of seeds while I had ga3 out for my byblis. I never tried growing Sarracenia from seed but I have 3 types I'm going for, a species and two hybrids. I sowed darlingtonia californica, some drosera grantsaui seeds I'm looking forward to, a retry on admirabilis, and a couple variations of aquatica I've never tried(or seen!) before. I'd like to compare them and see if I can get some seed. Possibly try to make a "robust" maroon plants that grows smaller. I think that may make the plants more desirable/accessible. The location data says the plant only reaches 15cm! Hopefully things turn up and I didn't burn them out (the drosera mainly); I have high hopes for the others though.

Today I also received something pretty neat. Genlisea Hispidula. I'm excited about this one because it's been terribly hard to find (never had luck with nursery sites). I posted on the board and was able to trade for it (Thank you!). It's such a weird plant lol. I got a nice clump of it so I was able to break it into a couple pots to try different growing medias and see what works better. I haven't traded much at all but its fun.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!