FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Anybody know what these blue-green growths are? Blue-green algae? They're growing on newly setup (4 day old) pots for seeds. The medium is mainly peat/perlite but the top 1/8" or so is pure peat. I've got two pots with this stuff growing and a bunch of others in similar conditions with no sign of it. I've keep the pots under a dome to help with germination but I'm thinking is might have been too wet, so I'm taking the dome off. Although that doesn't explain how the other pots aren't affected. Any ideas?
Attachments:
P8151103a.JPG
P8151103a.JPG (229.84 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
By evenwind
So just drying it out a bit should help? I don't want to do anything to disturb the basically invisible drosera seeds sharing the pot...
By uxleumas
drying out may help but the seeds might be dammaged, spray with neem? if you keep getting this problem try microwaving the peat to kill the spores
By evenwind
It's only in 2 pots out of a half dozen or so. I did see a recommendation to use cinnamon as a fungicide (I've used it on orchids) but I don't know how that will affect the seeds. It'll make 'em smell good, anyway.
By hungry carnivores
Try cinnamon. I hate having foreign material in my pots; in case of mold I use H2SO4 dilute.

With algae, use H2O2 concentrated. or Methanediol (CH4O2). Benzene or Xylene would likely also work, but I generally advise against carcinogens (someone told me they're dangerous) /s.
evenwind liked this
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!