FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Back in late April, on a whim, I bought 20 inexpensive Venus flytraps off eBay from a seller in Slovakia. I thought it would take a couple weeks for them to arrive, but it ended up taking a whole month (see this post). Needless to say, the flytraps were none too happy about spending so long in the dark. After I unpacked them and cleaned them up, they looked more like bean sprouts than flytraps.
Before - 1.jpg
Before - 1.jpg (312.81 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
I potted them and put them outside in a shady location to recover.
Before - 2.jpg
Before - 2.jpg (412.88 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Two and a half months later, here's what they look like:
After - 1.jpg
After - 1.jpg (488.07 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
After - 2.jpg
After - 2.jpg (378.85 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
I didn't lose a single plant. It's amazing what a little warmth, humidity, and sunshine can do. I keep telling people that Venus flytraps are tougher than they think, and now I have the pictures to prove it.
Berrybob, uxleumas, Propag8 and 4 others liked this
By MikeB
The square, black pots are P64: 2.5" square x 3.5" high (65mm square x 90mm high). I got them off eBay or Amazon.

The round, orange pots are from a manufacturer that I can't identify (the bottom of the pot has a stylized "ES" in a circle). They're 3.5" diameter x 3.25" high (90mm diameter x 85mm high). I got them from a seller on Amazon. He was getting out of the gardening supply business, so I bought his remaining stock of 1,900 pots. I've already sold 1,500 of them to a friend who owns a commercial greenhouse. These pots have the same volume as a 4" (100mm) azalea pot, just narrower and taller. They're okay for smaller flytraps, but after a year or so the plants really need taller pots.
By MikeB
It took about 3 weeks. I kept them in bright, indirect light for this time, which allowed the chlorophyll to come back into the leaves. After that, I started creeping them into the sun over the next 4 weeks. They're looking great now. Some of the plants have bright red traps, should make good breeding stock in the spring.
Giantflytrapboy liked this
By Giantflytrapboy
Thank you for the quick reply. The traps or shall I use your term lol “bean sprouts” looking plants are dying off with no green coming coming together. Everything is slowly turning black retreating towards the bulb. The bulb is white & not rotten so I’ll just hope for the best as they’re resilient as proven in your case. I did put them under my powerful led lights straight away so that might account for the dying off. Nonetheless I’ll be back with an update in a couple weeks.
By MikeB
Giantflytrapboy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 amI did put them under my powerful led lights straight away so that might account for the dying off.
I have no doubt that's it. 6 weeks in total darkness, followed by a blast of very bright light, killed the weakened leaves. As long as the rhizomes don't rot, they should start sprouting new leaves soon.
Giantflytrapboy liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!