FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
A little while ago there was a thread on crossing pygmy drosera with the petiolaris complex and its viability. On that page someone had linked a chart showing the relation between drosera, like a familial tree. I know there are charts and stuff online that'd be worth checking out. Someone made it their mission to test viable crosses. Try to run a search on that thread
By Copper2
Crosses can take between distantly related species. Chromosome counts do not need to match but the closer the chromosome count the better. Otherwise the cells with more chromosomes will mature slower then the other cells causing the seed embryo to abort. There is other factors that can prevent pollen from successfully pollinating the flower such as the style being too long. Of course with distantly related species you run the risk of the cells maturing much differently from each other causing abortion when they fuse and try to grow
By hungry carnivores
Apollyon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:34 am A little while ago there was a thread on crossing pygmy drosera with the petiolaris complex and its viability. On that page someone had linked a chart showing the relation between drosera, like a familial tree. I know there are charts and stuff online that'd be worth checking out. Someone made it their mission to test viable crosses. Try to run a search on that thread
I may bump the thread with a paper I'm working on. There was a new recently discovered species that kinda links both, a missing link if you will.

I haven't got any petiolaris flowers, so my pygmy flower are going to waste. That is, unless anyone is willing to do a seed split with me, if you have any petiolaris complex flowers.

As for sessifklia x capensis, I say no. N is widely different, the two sections are so far from each other, and the morphologies are widely different. The branch support on phyligeny between the two is 0.01 so it's a stretch.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!