FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Couldn't you create a vent with the fan directing the air out of the tent? The fan will never keep it colder than the ambient temperature but it could help from getting much hotter. Personally I just invested in a window AC and keep high humidity plants under domes but if you want to have a grow tent you'll need ventilation. Even if you have to open the tent a little, it'll still maintain more humidity within the tent than outside. Have an aristo cross that does fine in 75 degrees with a 69 degree nighttime. One of them I just keep in relative humidity. While it isn't ideal, the plant isn't suffering. Pitchers aren't dying. It isn't an ultra highland but most of these highland plants are tougher than people think.
Last edited by Apollyon on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Just one last point copper2 if what you suggest in the diagram is correct why use antifreeze when the ambient temperature of a fridge is around 5c. I agree if your putting something inside the fridge itself then it's not dangerous. You weren't very clear and he is 14. Like I explained antifreeze won't make the liquid cooler just freeze at a lower temp you don't put antifreeze in your bottled water. I don't want to be enemies just pointing out he could of misread your idea like I did.
By Copper2
Mini fridges never keep an exact temp in my experience... the top of the fridge often collects ice
By Propag8
Thats because the heat is drawn out by the refrigerant the edges or back of the fridge are lower than the ambient temperature hence why the rear outside of the fridge is hot. Well that got a little more heated than I'd like shall we just pretend it didn't happen and hope the op solves his problem I've already apologised to him. Forums always bring stubborn people like us together :D
By Propag8
Is it possible you could have the air conditioning unit outside the tent and feed cool air in via ducting?. It would solve your heat issue and still maintain good humidity as long as it doesn't bring your temperatures to low.
By Propag8
Could work! You could always patch your tent up if not. I would just be careful on getting very low temps in your tent the cool air should even out with the hot air. Maybe run it intermittently on and off every 30 mins or so until you can get a fairly consistent temperature then put your aircon on a timer or even better a temperature switch. It wont give you very consistent temperatures but it's better than cooking them.
By Propag8
Let us know how you get on
Sp0nser liked this
By Copper2
Propag8 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 pm Is it possible you could have the air conditioning unit outside the tent and feed cool air in via ducting?. It would solve your heat issue and still maintain good humidity as long as it doesn't bring your temperatures to low.
Any modification of an AC or AC ducting can be very dangerous and only done by a professional. Otherwise you might cause a catastrophic explosion
By Propag8
Thanks for taking my advice on-board copper2 that is 100% correct lucky he hadn't been advised to modify it in any way that it wasn't designed for. He could of been advised to drill holes near a compressed gas system or use toxic ethylene glycol blown into the air poisoning his plants and family but I'm not that stupid :D
By Shadowtski
Portable AC units with ducting connections are available at Amazon and other places.
The unit is placed at a remote location and cooling and return air ducts are connected on each end.

These are more expensive but they would be ideally suited for your application.
Propag8 liked this
By mcgrumpers
Sell propagations or microgreens or something to fund your hobby. You'll always need more money to provide better conditions or buy more plants.
Propag8, Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
mcgrumpers wrote:Sell propagations or microgreens or something to fund your hobby. You'll always need more money to provide better conditions or buy more plants.
Yeahhh, that's about where I'm at right now lol. I have some stuff I've been meaning to post. Some pings and a couple drosera

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!