FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By TreeHuggerJana
So I have several fly traps and other carnivorous plants. I thought I would be smart to get self watering pots to make sure they never get neglected. Although they work fantastic , the roots on all my plants that I put in these pots are growing out of the bottom and into the water. Naturally they are growing toward the water. I didn’t expect this to happen but now that it has it seems so obvious that it would
What should I do ? I feel like I need to re pot them in different pots.

I’m not sure what to do here
By Benny
Many self-watering pots don't work for me, but great that they are working! Some dimensions to the pot will be helpful, such as; height and diameter. Larger roots = larger plant, so re-potting may be a good idea.
By Propag8
I had this issue about a month ago but using standard pots. I had advice from the guru himself matt to put them in as large a pot as you can. I followed his advice using sphagnum and a 6 inch pot and the difference is unreal. Traps are atleast 1/3 larger than a month ago and it's growing rapidly The extra sphagnum holds alot more water increasing times between watering. Unfortunately if you want a healthy vft there is no fail safe product out there in case you forget to water they are a special plant that requires special attention you just can't forget about them without consequences unfortunately. :D
Benny liked this
By Propag8
Unfortunately you can tell I like the word unfortunately :lol:
By Apollyon
It's interesting how CPs do that. Usually you size a pot by plant size but with CPs it almost facilitates more rapid growth. If you can get away with a self-watering pot in your conditions then more power to you. I'm wondering if I could do the same. Test out on some of my new sprouts next season :D VFTs I would size up. Drosera I try to keep in 3-4inch pots because I keep them in 1020 trays. Outside of my Regias, most are suitable to that size. Except my freakish outlier albino capensis. It's set on taking over the world currently, not even an aphid outbreak slowed it down. If you have something like a capensis, binata, regia, it'd be a good time to propagate by root cuttings if that's your thing. Those species can grow that way.
Propag8 liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!