FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy1776
Howdy everyone! I love this forum but it’s disheartening when things aren’t going well with my own plants. I have lately been having issues with keeping new growth alive on some of my flytraps. Here’s the scenario:

I have 2 VFT’s that I bought, they are pretty young and small, a Ginormous and a Bristletooth. Upon getting them I placed them outside on my south facing balcony, they are inside a plastic shoebox that acts as a watering tray and inside some wooden planters on my railing. Initially it had some sun burn while it adapted but it eventually adapted and new growth came in that looks great! Now within just about 2 weeks most new growth has died back and new growth points turn black. I have no idea what is going on anymore.

-Conditions have remained the same. They grow with a B52, Judith Hindle and Dente that appear to be in good health.
-I made a previous post about this but it was deemed harmless - I still have some odd orange growth growing on my soil in some pots. Not sure if that would have any effect.
-I use distilled water or RO water that has low TDS levels.
-The soil is original from the nursery. It is a peat moss and gravel blend.
-I live in Houston, maybe the heat is becoming too intense?

Here are some photos. I am including a photo of my B-52 which is great but has some odd blackening that may help someone ID a problem. Also attaching photo of where I have them growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Rudy1776
If it’s worth adding, I have some neighbors trays of VFT’s on the floor that I noticed some odd decay patterns around the edges of the traps. I got a wet paper towel and wiped some of the traps and upon using my jewelry magnifying glass, I noticed some red/orangeish specs on the paper towel. Photos attacher below.

By Rudy1776
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:I grow mine in Kyle tx welcome partner!!! It is pretty intense but I managed to acclimate them both indoors and out! They actually do better indoors under my regular light emitting diode bulb from Amazon!!! It is the Amazon basics brand but what I did was cut the plastic dome off the led housing and it is a HELL of a lot brighter... But they are just a little bit slower in the north facing window sill!

dragons are red, scams are blue! but green is true!
Howdy!! Outdoors is seeming to be tough indeed! Maybe i’ll add more shade to my plants outside. I use Yescom lights for my small indoor setup!

Btw - I replied to my own thread before seeing your comments. Sorry!

By Rudy1776
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:Oh that looks like a disease or even pests probably spider mites!

That is what I am thinking too! Especially after using the paper towel method!

Should Orthene Acephate work to treat mites?
By sanguinearocks101
Joshuamarshall792 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 pm And if you have issues with vfts buy a drosera intermedia it grows just fine indoors anywhere in a terrarium, outdoors, well you can get them in a tropical form which won't really do well In texas (trust me I tried it and It killed my poor little capensis...) But you can grow it indoors! And the temperate form which can grow anywhere! In a terrarium, indoors and out!

The temperate form of intermedia needs a dormancy. Temperate plants are not usually good for terrariums. I don’t see why the tropical form wouldn’t do well in Texas as long as it was accclimated
By sanguinearocks101
Rudy1776 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:Oh that looks like a disease or even pests probably spider mites!

I would submerge the plants underwater for 2 minutes. That will drown the bugs and not harm the plants. I had an aphid problem on my vft and submerging it killed them(they may be starting to come back though, I live in the country so they’re probably native or at least living in the wild where I live) I see in one of your pictures that you have a Sarracenia(probably carolina yellow jacket) growing with a Nepenthes(probably miranda). Nepenthes are tropical while Sarracenia are temperate so I would recommend separating them.
By Rudy1776
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Rudy1776 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm

I would submerge the plants underwater for 2 minutes. That will drown the bugs and not harm the plants. I had an aphid problem on my vft and submerging it killed them(they may be starting to come back though, I live in the country so they’re probably native or at least living in the wild where I live) I see in one of your pictures that you have a Sarracenia(probably carolina yellow jacket) growing with a Nepenthes(probably miranda). Nepenthes are tropical while Sarracenia are temperate so I would recommend separating them.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll try submerging all these suckers in the tray. If that fails, do you have a recommended pesticide for mites?

As for the Sarracenia, yup, it’s a Carolina Yellow Jacket. I plan on keeping it outside here for dormancy, it gets pretty cold enough to trigger it. I do think I’ll bring my Miranda indoors during winter. But I don’t think I need to separate them right now, unless you have a different rationale?

By Rudy1776
camsdad66 wrote:Off topic, but nice Nepenthes on your patio. Looks like N. x Miranda. Love those, have been growing some for over 15 years. Hard to kill!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks!! It is indeed a Nep. Miranda! I got it from a fellow grower and it seems pretty indestructible so far. I’ll probably bring it inside during the winter.

By ChefDean
Well, I think you hit your issue on the head, but there are a couple of contributing factors too.
First, over the past two weeks in Houston, the high temperatures have regularly gotten into the 90's. They experience this in the wild, but they have factors there to insulate them from that heat and keep the roots cooler. In ground, the soil insulates the roots against the heat. Sandy soil, high water table, water evaporates easily, providing a cooling effect. Other plants around to provide shade.
Second, they are in a box, basically in mid air. This enables the heat to hit them from all sides, no chance of the roots staying cooler.
Third, I'm not liking the gravel. Even if the nursery thoroughly rinsed it, it could still be leaching minerals into the peat, harming your plants.
My opinion would be to repot in LFSM or a peat/perlite mix, and get them out of direct sun for a couple of weeks. If the rhizome is in good shape, they should recover.
By sanguinearocks101
Rudy1776 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 am Thanks for the advice! I’ll try submerging all these suckers in the tray. If that fails, do you have a recommended pesticide for mites?

As for the Sarracenia, yup, it’s a Carolina Yellow Jacket. I plan on keeping it outside here for dormancy, it gets pretty cold enough to trigger it. I do think I’ll bring my Miranda indoors during winter. But I don’t think I need to separate them right now, unless you have a different rationale?

Yep, you don’t need to separate them right now. I haven’t used any pesticides before so I don’t have any recommendations.
By MikeB
Rudy1776 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 amI’ll try submerging all these suckers in the tray. If that fails, do you have a recommended pesticide for mites?
I've used BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control on my plants with no ill effects.
By Apollyon
I'll second that. I used Bayers (BioAdvanced) 3 in 1 myself just the other day on one of my outdoor VFTs that got aphids. It didn't skip a beat and is still growing its newest leaf. Make sure you're accurate with diluting the concentrate though.

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!