FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Riggers77
Hi,

Last night we had a storm to end all storms! Extremely heavy rainfall with a light and sound show to rival the tropics!
This has resulted in the majority of my outdoor Sarracenia pitchers filling up with rainwater. I know this isn't the norm for this variation of the species, my question is this...
Should I tip them over gently to empty the rainwater (and most likely many of the insects) or will they slowly empty themselves through evaporation? Or will the water drain down over time? We are getting high temperatures at the moment with lots of sun so the likelihood of it evaporating is probably quite high but my immediate concern is whether the water will do more harm than good.
Over to you....
By ChefDean
In my experience, they will take care of themselves. You can pour the water out if you really want to, but I don't believe it's necessary.
If they experience a pitcher filling deluge in the wild, the swamp fairy (grassland fairy, forest fairy, wherever they are fairy) doesn't come by and gently pour out the rain water. Unless you fear that the pitchers could be damaged by the water, let them be.
Some water will evaporate, but most will be absorbed by the plant.
You're good.
Chef
By steve booth
No problem with leaving it in, it happens in nature. If they are short squat, purpurea or its hybrid type pitchers they are likely designed to collect the rain water and will be fine, but the taller ones tend to fall over in a breeze and empty themselves and either stand back up or break unless supported.
Cheers
Steve
By Riggers77
Thanks everyone... Sorry I wasn't so proactive with my responses at the time of asking...
I appreciate your replies and it seems that there's a consensus here.
Just out of interest.... I emptied roughly half of the pitchers and left the others do their own thing. They're all quite tall plants (no purps) and the ones that had rainwater in them, or at least the majority of them, have all since folded and fallen due to the weight. They were pretty full of insects to begin with and the extra weight of water has just tipped them over the edge.
The ones that the garden fairy emptied are doing well.
So I think my lesson learned is this... It ain't gonna harm them in the long run. But if I want them to look at their best then intervene.

Thanks again all!
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!