FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By crich
Hi folks, do you think the Drosera on the left is the same species as the one on the right hand side? I'm asking for a new set of eyes because I've looked so long at both pots that I can't tell the difference anymore.

The Drosera on the left was marked Drosera 'Hong Kong' (growing with some stubborn Utricularia remenants). The Drosera on the right just appeared and started coming up in a pot of VFTs at the start of year in a location about 8-10 ft away. The pot of VFTs were nowhere near the pot of Drosera 'Hong Kong', so I'm wondering "what is this sundew?" I've pulled up all the Drosera growing in the VFT pot and have colelcted them in their own pot (pictured at right).

Can anyone please help me figure out what the Drosera at right is? Are both pots even growing the same Drosera, whereby the pot of Hong Kong spatula incredibly migrated to another pot (of VFTs) on the other side of the house?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments:
Are these Drosera one and the same?
Are these Drosera one and the same?
drosera.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 2889 times
By sanguinearocks101
Are they in the same conditions, especially light levels? The one on the right looks like its leaves are longer and the non-dewy part is thinner but that could just be different light levels.
By ChefDean
To me it looks like you may have at least three varieties. The left pic appears to be the same, but the right pic may have two other species.
The leaf length, paddle size and shape show differences.
However, being this small, it's difficult to tell, and micro climes in the pot could account for variances. They could very well be all the same.
Let 'em grow up.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
ChefDean wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm To me it looks like you may have at least three varieties. The left pic appears to be the same, but the right pic may have two other species.
The leaf length, paddle size and shape show differences.
However, being this small, it's difficult to tell, and micro climes in the pot could account for variances. They could very well be all the same.
Let 'em grow up.
Now that I look at it it does look like 3 different varieties. Maybe some capensis seedlings in the right picture.
By crich
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 pm Are they in the same conditions, especially light levels? The one on the right looks like its leaves are longer and the non-dewy part is thinner but that could just be different light levels.
Both pots of sundew are placed in full sun 10 ft apart on a concrete floor. Interestingly, both varieties are just now starting to send up multiple flower stalks. The flowers have not yet opened, but I don't know if the flowers could help with ID.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!