FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Welcome!
zendercosm_11 liked this
By Apollyon
zendercosm_11 wrote:Howdy, all. I really appreciate that this forum exists. I’ve read lots of entires over the last couple of years, but never joined. I need a lot of help in this endeavor. I’m using carnivorous plants as a way to curb responses & triggers associated with PTSD—& it’s ridiculously effective, too.

I recently upgraded enclosures after keeping 3 mislabeled nepenthes sanguinea alive for 16 months; terrarium to tent. I will put a current list of my collection up in the list section.

I received my first Dionae & Sarracenia as gifts 20+ years ago, and I remember they died within two weeks. In 2017, an old roommate bought a drosera, Sarracenia purpea, & nepenthes alata for pest control. I cared for them, until I moved. In 2018, I put some Sarracenia outdoors on my pool deck... which spiraled quickly into my now obsession—I’m sure you can all relate!

I remain a permanent beginner. I will never stop asking questions, for someone else’s opinion, or for help. I really am grateful for the resources & community here, & hope you don’t mind if I ask you for your help, knowledge, &/or feedback. :D
Welcome to the forum. Plants do have a way of bringing out the good and yeah, most of us have gone down the rabbit hole lol. People here are very helpful and the seed bank is a great way to expand your collection on the cheap. A lot of us donate seeds for others to use. Also, if you're looking to expand, you can check the sale/trades/wants section where people will post things they're looking to rehome.
zendercosm_11 liked this
By Propag8
Welcome to the forum I'm happy carnivorous plants are helping you out. If your anything like me they will soon be all you think about lol. Watch your living space slowly shrink as you welcome in your new plant friends but they are well worth it. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me cover the entire house floor with peat so I can live in a carnivorous bog house but she just won't give in. :lol:
By zendercosm_11
I appreciate your hospitality. That sounds like it could be a fun stay-home project, Propag8. Peat does feel really nice against the skin... :D
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Lol which fly traps do you have. typical?
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
I’m growing a few different kinds, but I can only be sure of the ones I bought online; which are ‘King Henry,’ ‘Red Dragon,’ and ‘Dente.’ I have 4 other Dionae that came from Ace Hardware, according to the person that gave them to me. I hesitate to guess, though... the ‘Dente’ are my favorites. I was really impressed when I pulled them out of the shipping box. What kinds are you growing? I will go look to see if you have posted a list. :D

Edit: it’s Dionaea, not Dionae. I’m sorry for being an insult to the carnivorous plant community. :D
Last edited by zendercosm_11 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Good choices :D I haven't listed my plants but I have....
ARPC
B52
Mirror
Purple Ambush
Large clone
Jigsaw
Great white shark
A few B52 divisions and currently propagating some b52 leaf pulling.
I really need a red cultivar though maybe akai ryu or similar. I'm buying a couple of pings and drosera at the end of the month. New species to me and some cross pollinated fly trap seeds :D
zendercosm_11 liked this
By zendercosm_11
Woah! I have never heard of some of those! I looked them all up. ‘Mirror’ looks insane! ‘Great White’ is on my rather extensive ‘wish list.’ Lol. Great collection, though!
Propag8 liked this
By Apollyon
Mirror or Mirror x Mirror is definitely on my hit list too. Recently I've been acquiring the weird ones. This week I ordered a "Schuppenstiel I" and "Angel Wings" lol. I look forward to making weird crosses of my flytraps and see if I can create some mutated monster.

My VFTs outside of those include: Red Dragon, SD Kronos, Purple Ambush (my favorite), DC XL,Fused Tooth, and Alien and some seeds. (Maybe finally get a typical :lol: ). My VFT collection isn't as impressive as others.

Once you break into the other carnivorous plants it's all over. Pinguicula, Nepenthes, Cephalotus, Drosera, Sarracenia lol. I've been attempting to propagate most all of the plants I receive. Hope to have a small carnivorous nursery of sorts in the future.
Propag8, zendercosm_11 liked this
By Propag8
Apparently mirror is unstable meaning eventually it will turn back to a typical fly trap but I don't have a typical so I'm fine with that. Great white is a nice one very vigorous grower too very common cultivar here in the UK easy to get. You won't find jigsaw as technically it's a seed grown typical I had from Germany with sawtooth teeth that clumps like mad. :D
zendercosm_11 liked this
By Propag8
Apollyon I also love schuppensteil its a crazy plant.
By evenwind
Propag8 wrote:I'm trying to convince my wife to let me cover the entire house floor with peat so I can live in a carnivorous bog house but she just won't give in.
Tell her that you're willing to put in boardwalks in the important rooms. That should win her over.
Propag8, zendercosm_11 liked this
By Propag8
Lol thats a great idea evenwind. I don't really see the problem with her walking in the peat she's got like 5000 pairs of shoes. On a serious note though I have ALMOST convinced her to let me have a greenhouse 8-) im so close its making me anxious :D
Apollyon liked this
By evenwind
Wow. You've got to be leaving speed marks on the Slippery Slope! Good luck with that!
Propag8 liked this
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!