FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ok7770
I've had this Cephalotus follicularis from Curious Plant for about 3-4 months now. Been keeping it outside in a Zone 10b area. Seems like it's been doing real well, even developed a couple mature pitchers (teeth! :D ). But I've noticed that some parts have been starting to turn yellow over the past few days. At first I wasn't concerned since it started with just one pitcher, but now there are multiple pitchers/leaves yellowing. There is still new growth coming out that is a healthy green. See pictures here.

Is this grounds for immediate repot/other care? I would hate to see it die down after it has come this far.
By ok7770
I would think that the humidity level is acceptable since it has been growing a lot over the past few months. I water it using the tray method (I just have the small pot sitting in a saucer). I know there's a lot of mixed opinions about the tray method for Cephalotus. It may be experiencing root rot, but before I really get down and disturb the roots, I'd like to hear some second opinions.
By Huntsmanshorn
I think you have a problem with heat stress. You might want to bring it inside until it cools off. By "it" I mean the weather not the plant.
By ok7770
Ok, for now I've moved it to a spot on my stand that gets less sunlight throughout the day. With all the natural light down here in Southern California, it almost feels wrong to be using grow lights indoors. :P

If heat stress is the case, I'm a little surprised to hear it. It's been relatively cooler here the past couple weeks, highs around 80 F and nighttime lows around 67 F. I would think that it would have shown these symptoms when there were heat waves months ago, causing 90+ temperatures.

I've pruned the dying pitchers, totaling about 7 of them. Part of the crown(?) looks blackish/brown, and to be honest it's always looked like that. Should I trim the top part of it?
By Matt
Looks like it could also have been shedding older pitchers? They do that from time to time. I've seen ours do it over the years very similarly to how yours was doing.

I have our Cephalotus growing outside in the greenhouses all summer and the weather has been over 100F most days for the last few weeks. They are doing fine, so I can't imagine the temperatures yours is experiencing would be an issue. Though, I'm certainly no Cephalotus expert.

I recently learned that one key to keeping them healthy and happy in extreme heat is keeping the soil damp at all times (be sure the soil is well-drained -- lots and lots of sand) and, if the pitchers are large, ensuring that they're full of fluid to keep themselves hydrated. Keeping them full of fluid is a great chance to fertilize too! I put liquid fertilizer in the pitchers when they get low on fluid and they can stand any heat southern Oregon has thrown at them (110F or so at the hottest). If the pitchers go dry on the inside however, they start browning or yellowing.
Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!