FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Yada
IMG_20200811_133048.jpg
IMG_20200811_133048.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2327 times
Hello! I hope this is the right place to post this.

I bought my first venus fly trap a month or so ago from a local garden centre. It's grown since but all the leaves lie flat or droop over the edge of the plant pot. I thought originally this was due to lack of sunlight in the garden centre but there has been no improvement. Additionally, some of the new tiny buds on the end of a leaf that have yet to grow into a new trap have turned black, while others are fine. I'm not concerned about the adult traps that are blackened as they've all caught something or other recently.

I keep it inside but move it outside when it's sunny. I started it in mild shade outside originally but have progressed to full sun. I bottom water around an inch at a time, whenever the soil begins to dry out, and I'm being careful not to over water! Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!
By Cross
That's a crowded pot! Lots of babies. What kind of water are you giving it and how many hours of direct, outside light is it getting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By Yada
Rainwater only! I've been giving it a minimum of about 4 hours of bright outside sunlight and it sits in a windowsill the rest of the day.

I live in the UK and the weather here is spotty at the best of times 😅

Should I split the babies up in that case then? Or wait for the dormancy period
By Cross
I'd wait for dormancy. I think there's atleast 4 plants in there. How is the weather spotty if I may ask? My plants sit through everything outside.

By Yada
We've been having thunderstorms lately with heavy rain followed immediately by super hot weather over the last week
By Cross
Yada wrote:We've been having thunderstorms lately with heavy rain followed immediately by super hot weather over the last week
No problem. Put him outside in a dish. He will hold the water to keep him watered over the dry days. The storms are no problem. Over here in pa (usa) we get very heavy, windy thunderstorms, a few inches of rain at a time. The next day is black flag and bone dry hot. You just keep an eye on the water in the dish. If you need to dapple the light, then you can do that by shading it under something so it still gets some direct light and some shade at the same time. But 4 hours isn't enough. I only bring mine in for the freezing and if they're seeding and we're going to have heavy winds and rain when the seed pods are opening. Another thing, when you repot, try to get long fiber sphagnum moss instead of peat. I like it much better for my plants. And plant them in something deeper, at least 6 inches. Their roots grow straight down, not out. And they can get really long. They get irritable if their roots touch bottom. I use Styrofoam cups, the tall ones. Definitely wait to repot though until they're definitively in dormancy.

By Cross
Yada wrote:I'll definately increase the time he spends outside in that case, thank you for your help!
You're welcome. I hope it goes well.

By steve booth
And don't worry about bringing it in overnight, its not necessary till November over here if you want to bring it in for dormancy, but mine (in bogs) stay out all year round.
Cheers
Steve
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!