FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
So apparently, my Nepenthes Spectabilis x Spathulata that's still the size of a medium plant decided that it would flower? I'm very confused. I thought it was a ways from a flowering adult. The flower looks way smaller than any other Nepenthes flowers I've seen.

I'm not experienced with Nepenthes. This looks like a male but I'm not sure. If it is, how should I go about harvesting/storing the pollen? Seeds would be nice if I could get some...
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 3632 times
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:50 pm For the pollen I think you can store it just like drosera pollen.
I don't know how to store drosera pollen either. I'm guessing you just collect it in a little sample container and then put it in the fridge?
By uxleumas
brush a bit onto aluminum foiland store it in the fridge. at least, what's what i heard. i think aluminum doesn't stick to pollen or something
By Lyra
I have been researching that. From what I read, the most important thing is keeping the pollen dry. I put mines in wax paper and store them in a ziploc bag.

Does anyone know if I should refrigerate it or not?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Make an origami envelope out of waxed paper for the pollen and store it in the fridge. The conditioned air will help keep the pollen dry and safe.
However, from everything I've read, Nep pollen only has a short, reliable shelf life. Most reports say the you should use it within three months for best results. Beyond that, its efficacy goes down hill pretty quick to being practically dead in as little as six months. Some people have had flowering females, needed pollen within the next couple of days, and turned down pollen over a couple of months old.
I have seen requests for pollen on other forums, maybe go there and offer it up. Most negotiate a 50/50 deal for any seeds that get produced. But then, those only have about a three month reliable viability too.
By Apollyon
If the goal is keeping it dry, you can get silica bags to wick the moisture. I use them for seed packs. In Florida moisture is the enemy.

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!