FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By killerplantcloset
I got the plus today and put 3 pellets in the top of the pot and filled his water tray up. I have a good feeling this will all work out thanks to all the help!
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Awesome! good deal. The pot looks pretty big so if you start seeing some new growth, feel free to add another. I think 3 is a good conservative start. I'll be honest, I push the boundaries of my plants more than most. I think you made a solid choice though. Feel free to do bloodworms when it produces dew but you can probably do maxsea after it develops its new leaf.

I think the reason I am able to fertilize more than most is because of the mist bottle that I use. Rather than a regular spray bottle, I have a sprayer that releases a very fine mist particle that i spray around all sides of the plant. I have noticed if I put concentrated sprays over a plant that it can cause some burn but if I do it with idea of a "fine coat" the plants usually love it. My pings and Regia seem to respond particularly well to this.

Here is a link to the type of bottle that I'm talking about. There are a host of different prices (It's one of those generic labelled made in china deals).

https://www.amazon.com/Beautify-Beautie ... 79de2d236f
By killerplantcloset
Apollyon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am Awesome! good deal. The pot looks pretty big so if you start seeing some new growth, feel free to add another. I think 3 is a good conservative start. I'll be honest, I push the boundaries of my plants more than most. I think you made a solid choice though. Feel free to do bloodworms when it produces dew but you can probably do maxsea after it develops its new leaf.

I think the reason I am able to fertilize more than most is because of the mist bottle that I use. Rather than a regular spray bottle, I have a sprayer that releases a very fine mist particle that i spray around all sides of the plant. I have noticed if I put concentrated sprays over a plant that it can cause some burn but if I do it with idea of a "fine coat" the plants usually love it. My pings and Regia seem to respond particularly well to this.

Here is a link to the type of bottle that I'm talking about. There are a host of different prices (It's one of those generic labelled made in china deals).

https://www.amazon.com/Beautify-Beautie ... 79de2d236f
Do I water the osmocote initially to get it going? Like top water?

Also, got one of those bottles going in the cart now.
By Apollyon
killerplantcloset wrote:
Do I water the osmocote initially to get it going? Like top water?

Also, got one of those bottles going in the cart now.
I had that same question lol. Honestly I didn't find it to make much of a difference. I believe the wet media slowly wicks it from the pellet. You're free to do it though. I did with my second Regia because I felt I could experiment more. They never say those kinds of things in the articles lol.

Recently I've explored using Scott's Disease EX as a growth booster because the active ingredient allows to plant to utilize chlorophyll more efficiently and extends the length of the leaves and makes the green more vibrant. In theory that would allow the plant to photosynthesize more and thus more vigorous growth. It was shown to be effective on VFTs and sundews. Nobody mentioned Regia so I risked it because I had two of them. I feel it did make a difference. The growth point is even a different color lol. It was an interesting experiment.

People have used it to treat and help bring plants back from the dead from what I understand. It's a fungicide. My VFTs look much greener and tougher after a couple weeks as well. It's used during the growing season but since most drosera are indoors on a fixed photoperiod, they aren't usually going dormant.

I don't feel that's necessary but something you may want to research and look into later on down the road.

That spray bottle is amazing for fertilizing. If you hold it far enough away you can coat it like they do with painting cars. A uniform layer of sorts without a lot of concentration. That tends to be murder on growth points in my experience. My idea is that a plant will benefit more from more frequent feeding at lower dosages over being blasted once every 3-4 weeks. So far it has worked. You do want to test on a leaf though and watch their condition often if you're going to do it like I'm talking about.

If your plant is still green and still in the game right now, that's a good sign. With the osmocote and regular feeding, you might see this plant better than it was before you know it.
killerplantcloset liked this
By killerplantcloset
Awesome! It's green and I noticed some new growth this morning. It took a hit no lie, but I have faith! The leaves are not immediately dying anymore. I can't thank you enough! Update to come!
Apollyon liked this
By killerplantcloset
Update: The plant definitely got set back and I think it likes the new media as the leaves are staying alive now. I am still hopeful the slow growth is caused by the 3 re-pottings and disturbing the poor plant. I am still seeing signs of new growth, but progress is slow.

The leaves are not turning black and dying instantly and I have been very careful to not water too much. This could mean the plant is on the mend. Too soon to tell, but way better than before. :)
Apollyon, Adriana liked this
By optimus prime
Glad to hear it made it. Slow growth could mean its not getting enough light.how light does it get and what kind of light?
By Apollyon
killerplantcloset wrote:Update: The plant definitely got set back and I think it likes the new media as the leaves are staying alive now. I am still hopeful the slow growth is caused by the 3 re-pottings and disturbing the poor plant. I am still seeing signs of new growth, but progress is slow.

The leaves are not turning black and dying instantly and I have been very careful to not water too much. This could mean the plant is on the mend. Too soon to tell, but way better than before. :)
If it's showing improvement then that is definitely a good sign. Staying green and starting new growth sounds like you're on the right track now. Keeping it away from the window in the hotter months was definitely the right call. If you have it growing under the mars hydro then it should continue to improve and get more robust as time goes on. Regias grow fairly quick but they're not like a filiformis or a capensis. Don't sweat it too much. I'm sure the rate of growth will improve as it settles in and develops more leaves to harvest energy. The osmocote will help a lot with that as well. I look forward to seeing this plant doing well. Thanks for the update!
By hungry carnivores
I'm growing a Regia for a Museum. It's at my house due to the COVID thing, I cannot show up to check/take care of the plants myself.

I. On arrival, I instantly took a root cutting 1 cm long. It has a regia baby, that is being kept as backup (and if not, it will be kept in a terrarium with some other cool droseras. Immediate pullings/cuttings are a policy for me once I receive a plant.

II. The Regias may/may not like waterlogged conditions depending on the environment. In the Bay Area, they love a little wetness, but there is a touch of perlite necessary. Since they originate from the Baineskloof area, they actually prefer Peat over Sphagnum. It's more cost-effective anyways. Most of my drosera and utrics are kept in peat regardless.

III. Drosera regia doesn't mind small pots. I'm keeping it in an eight inch tall, three inch diameter pot from Home Depot. This way, they can tray water it along with other South African dews, Pinguicula Primuliflora.

IV. Drosera regia loves light.

V. Drosera regia requires a little feeding, not very much. They gladly take fish food.

VI. Lastly, if there isn't a lot of dew on the plant, it's likely because it is SHOCKED. This means bagging the plant and acclimating it back down may be the best course of action.

Over the past 6 months we've been in care of the plant, it has gone from 3" to 10" tall.
killerplantcloset liked this
By killerplantcloset
Thank you! Here is the plant today. There is definitely some new growth.
20200828_190052.jpg
20200828_190052.jpg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 5122 times
20200828_190109.jpg
20200828_190109.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 5122 times
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Excellent, I'm happy that it worked out in the end. I'm guessing that black tipped leaf was growing when it was being repotted? The crown looks healthy, appears it's just a waiting game now. Just repotted one of mine a little while ago and it didn't dig the abuse lol. Root pruned it to get some cuttings; it's doing alright now though. I'm hoping your plant has a swift recovery from here on out and it gets back to it's former size soon.
By dougiedigsplants
Hey,

I just received my first drosera regia and I found this thread super helpful.

Please post some updates and pics on how your regia has grown since your last post.

Mine is a 4-6 inch plant right now and I kept it in a gallon ziplock bag for extra humidity the first 3 days in my care. It looked pretty green when it arrived and the tips have started turning black in the humidity bag. I realized it had been sitting in a bit too much water accidentally, about 1 - 2 inches and I have cleared that out and have been more careful since. I'm planning to repot it today to a slightly larger pot.
By Apollyon
Good choice. I murdered my semi mature one frim running water over it too soon after bottom watering so it got crown rot. they can kind of do tray watering if it isnt excessive but you dont want to drown it and make the media anaerobic.

Ive also noticed blackened tips if the water quality isnt too great or if it isnt getting enough nutrients
dougiedigsplants liked this
By dougiedigsplants
I decided to hold off on repotting for a few weeks until it stabilizes and I see healthy growth. It's still in the original 2x2x4 inch plastic pot with a carnivorous peat, sand, and perlite mix from the seller.

After continuing to see black tips develop, I put a thermometer next to it on the windowsill and realized the morning sun was heating up the area over 85-95 degrees F, which I know it didn't appreciate. I've since moved it away from the windowsill as it's under a 32watt GE grow light for 10.5 hours / day.

I've watered so far by gently spraying 0ppm water on the top soil using a fine mist. Perhaps the tray method filling 1/8 the height of the pot would work more consistently?

It's about 3-4 inches tall so far. As for fertilizing, I have 3 osmocote plus pellets in the top soil and I have sprayed it once with 1/8 tsp per gallon maxsea once so far.

I'll post an update in a few weeks after moving it away from the windowsill heat. Hopefully it will have improved by then!
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!