FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
A TDS meter would be helpful to your cause overall because water TDS can change with buildup over time. For instance, my ppm was 47 and I was using distilled water in my trays. If I left it unchecked they could've taken a turn for the worse. Deionized water should be ok. The thing that is interesting is the leaves are gone but there is a flower stalk.

It's tough because flower stalks take energy to sustain itself and there are no leaves to really photosynthesize. As far as planting, I think she's saying it should've been planted deeper, where the soil level was before (and that first root), up to the green. Appears to be just under the flower stalk . Keep it wet, I'd personally bag it and hope for the best. You *could* cut the stalk and hope there is enough energy stored to put out more growth and plant the stem in the hopes it sparks, or you could let it do its thing and harvest the seeds to plant. It could survive with the stalk and no leaves. I honestly don't know. If it hasn't died yet then there's hope.

It looks like you cut one of the roots off? It looks like the first root is gone or maybe it is just under the soil, idk. Anyway the plant should probably be bagged or domed (or misted) to maintain a high humidity under lights or by a window to encourage new growth. If you bag it, let it breathe once a day or so and if you see new growth, id begin acclimating it slowly by poking holes in the bag. That's what I'd do. If you replant it, leave it alone and don't do anything else to it.
By Wood1988
Many thanks for the advice.

I had a closer look at the flower stalk today and it is also turning brown along its length so I believe my plant is entirely dead (unless new plants can grow from rotting cuttings which is impossible).

With the bottom half, I have planted it in some media in a clear plastic tomato punnet box and attached the lid, which has air holes.
By Apollyon
Shake some of the seeds out if there are darkened pods and see what you get.
Adriana liked this
By Adriana
Hi Wood, sorry I didn't understand the order of the pictures. I think it's fine how you did it. If your humidity in your home is less than 50% you might want to add humidity.

If the flower stalk had blossoms that opened and closed on their own, the stalk will brown as it makes seed pods, that's normal. If that's the case you can clip the stalk and put it in an envelope so the seed pods will dry and the seed will fall to the bottom.
Apollyon liked this
By Wood1988
Hi.

Upon inspection yesterday evening (I was out all day) I noticed to my horror that the crown had gone brown and 'crispy' even though the soil was still moist, I think it had been cooked due to the heatwave.

Does anyone think that new plantlets will sprout from it (pictures coming soon)?
By Wood1988
Hi Everyone. Here is the picture of my dried up cape sundew 'stump'.

Not convinced that anything will sprout from it as ist already been cooked. The stump was under a plastic cover to keep the humidity up, to prevent burning the cover had a label on (it was an empty muffin case from morrisons supermarket).
Attachments:
crispy sundew.jpg
crispy sundew.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3570 times
By Adriana
That foliage and stem look dead. It may sprout plantlets from the root if the root is intact and uncooked though.
By Wood1988
I looked at the roots and they look all black and are like algae in texture, I think the roots looked like this when the plant arrived.

What do healthy roots look like as I'm not sure anymore?
By Adriana
The ones hanging out of the bottom of my pots are dark and slimy too, for what it's worth.
By Adriana
I don't know about pink, but they're usually light in color for sure. I'm just saying how my sundew roots look and they are surprisingly dark.
Apollyon liked this
By Wood1988
Fair enough, I had a look at my accidental root cutting this evening and noticed a couple of plants had sprouted from the soil.

I'm not convinced they are sundew plantlets but don't think they are weeds.

One of them has 2 noncarnivorous leaves but not much else.
By Apollyon
You'll know in about a week or so what you're looking at. timing makes it sound like sundews though, especially if they are nearby one another.

I have some bainskloof capensis seeds I germinated that I was unable to tell for a while what they were. Just let them do their thing and see what comes up
By Wood1988
Looking at photos of cutting plantlets on Google, they appear to show the first leaves to be mature with tentacles.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!