FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
Today i have cut a T8 brown cardboard package as a way to reflect the light and not hurt my eyes. The cardoarb has small holes which i may cover.
Below are two curtains (from the pst year) made from a black garbage plastic bag.
1) I observed a rise in temperature and sometimes i open the black curtains. I know that black absorbes light and gives heat. Is a mistake to think that white reflects light and give more heat than black ?
Attachments:
IMG_20200806_124900.jpg
IMG_20200806_124900.jpg (993.78 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
By Propag8
Have you thought about trying to make some sort of reflector for your tubes. This would angle the light downwards and reduce the glare from the lights. There are reflectors available for tube lighting but I think most are 2,4,6,8 tube fittings. A reflector would maximise the light by concentrating it onto your plants as I think the cardboard and plastic bags are simply absorbing and wasting light. If your fairly handy with the tools you could build one from polished alu sheet or a cheaper option use something like thin fibreboard and line the inside with Mylar.
By Propag8
Something like this. It is for t5 tubes but I'm sure you could get it for t8.
Attachments:
nanotech_t5_reflectors.png
nanotech_t5_reflectors.png (53.44 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
roarke liked this
By Adriana
I agree with using the reflectors! And to answer your other questions, yes white does not hold heat like black does. But any plastic hanging there is going to hold in heat.

One of my best plant-related purchases was a 4-pack of little temp/humidity meters. Cheap and very useful for watching your conditions.
Propag8 liked this

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!