FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I think most of us have a story about a Cape that was unintentionally abused, but bounced back.
Personally, I have accidentally knocked one over and, when I quickly reached to grab it, I missed. Well, not quite. I hit it and sent the pot even further, and everything scattered when it hit the ground. In my panic, I rushed over to get it, but slipped when I got close and it got sandwiched between the concrete and my butt as I slid to a stop. After I stopped crying about the plant I just murdered, I repotted the pieces.
Whether it was because they are tough, or my tears have magical healing properties (redneck tears for sale, $10 per tear), the plant not only recovered, but half the pieces struck plantlets.
Fast forward to today, but back up a little.
I won a giveaway in July, 1 small Cape and 2 leaf cuttings. The host felt that the Cape was a tiny bit small, so he said he'd send 2 Capes and 5 cuttings. His PM said they were mailed on July 9th, nothing ever arrived. I chalked it up to the buffoons at the USPS.
NOW fast forward to today.
The package arrived. The plants and cuttings were in a plastic baggie sealed with electrical tape. (electrical tape, wtf, ik) AND EVERYTHING WAS ALIVE!!! (< 3 exclamation points y'all) I'm sure that, if the host had not packaged them as well as he did, they would have all been crispy by now.
The plants were the worst off, but everything got planted. Should we place friendly wagers on not only the plants surviving, but how many strikes I get from the cuttings?
Flat Capes y'all
Flat Capes y'all
20200804_165511.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6129 times
uxleumas, Adriana, Shadowtski and 2 others liked this
By PlanT640847401
I feel capes are just magically easier the longer you grow them. I used to only have one shrimpy cape, but now, i can grab a cape seedling that i deem a weed and shove it halfway down the pot and it will still annoy me. Yet, anyone i give a cape to always has the hardest time growing it and it usually dies
By evenwind
ChefDean wrote:Personally, I have accidentally knocked one over and, when I quickly reached to grab it, I missed. Well, not quite. I hit it and sent the pot even further, and everything scattered when it hit the ground. In my panic, I rushed over to get it, but slipped when I got close and it got sandwiched between the concrete and my butt as I slid to a stop.
Don't suppose there's any video? (Um, just asking for a friend.)
Panman, Adriana liked this
By ChefDean
Update:
Although they're all still green, no strikes from the cuttings as of yet. But the plants seem to be doing something.
One leaf that was still green on the plants was poking higher than it was at first. I used a toothpick to expose the paddle, and it seems to be alive.
Perhaps this plant has some mystical, magical properties in order to defy death.
I frickin' love Capes!
Panman, Adriana liked this
By ChefDean
Update:
Capes are a beast!
One leaf cutting has produced a strike so far, but even more surprising, the plants that were flattened and abused have produced a strike.
Scroll up for the plants before pic, here is last night. (Disregard the dog hair that found its way to the pot)
20200913_070730.jpg
20200913_070730.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5282 times
By P A U L
I cut mine intentionally trying to get rid of them and they came back. Gave me dirty looks.
By murrkywaters
I did recently recieve a few from generous form users as bonuses with purchases. One of which lost all its foliage but still had fantastic roots. We'll see if it comes back.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By P A U L
There's a thread where a user turned bean sprouts into flytraps. Quite a testament to toughness...they can even survive jet lag!
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!