FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By lowis_leyn
Hi everyone.. it's my first time taking interest in taking care of plants. I think i took interest in this plant because of the natgeo feels it brings. I had my drosea brumannii just 3 days ago. It is currently acclimating inside our house - moving it from my work area which is the living room and then the dining area where there is an extra sink. I can't help myself but check on it every once in a while.

I read somewhere that feeding it crushed/softened fish pellets can help so i did some of that on day 1. Today, though, day 3 .. i noticed there's fewer mucilage on the tips of the plant.. fewer with other reallyl really small ones compared to last night's .

This is day one.. with its dews making me really excited..
20200803_153217.jpg
20200803_153217.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 8113 times

This is day 3 This is how two of the leaves look like. Though I do not understand why..
20200805_183804.jpg
20200805_183804.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 8113 times
Tomorrow its bound for a little daylight time ...
Adriana, VFTNoob liked this
By ChefDean
Welcome to the Forum.
Your little bug eater looks nice, great plant.
Don't worry too much about less dew on the leaves for now. If I am understanding correctly, you just got it three days ago, it's bound to experience a little stress. I wouldn't worry about feeding it right away, give it time to settle in.
That same stress could explain what you see with the leaves. I think they look fine, but you have a better angle to view them.
Again, welcome. We're glad you're here.
Chef
By lowis_leyn
thank you! hahah i've been having this swings from being hopeful to almost tearing up with sadness hahaha i haven't had this "wanting so bad for the plant to really live and thrive and grow and maybe multiply" feeling. I am stopping myself from buying another two hahaha.. HOW BIG do they grow again?
By ChefDean
Burmannii stay small, little over an inch wide, maybe 3 or 4 centimeters. They are considered an annual, and often don't live more than a year. With great care, they can live a couple of years, but it's much easier to sow any seeds that they produce immediately to start growing more.
lowis_leyn liked this
By hackerberry
Welcome Kabayan, looks like it's getting it's share of light from the coloration. You probably just need to cover it a bit with vent so that it acclimates faster and those dews start showing up. I would recommend not feeding it right now as there are no dews present. Keep us posted with your success. Cheers!
lowis_leyn liked this
By lowis_leyn
hackerberry wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm Welcome Kabayan, looks like it's getting it's share of light from the coloration. You probably just need to cover it a bit with vent so that it acclimates faster and those dews start showing up. I would recommend not feeding it right now as there are no dews present. Keep us posted with your success. Cheers!
Thank you sa welcome kabayan! I hope it regains dews soon. Everytime i take a peek i feel sad because there's none. And i think it's shrinking and if my paranoia is right its leaves are starting to go black unless that's its soil somehow

T_T
By hackerberry
Let it dry a bit, the root system might be suffocating a bit and might have fungal infection.
lowis_leyn liked this
By jiacheow
Hello from Malaysia :)
Give it plenty of light (at least 3 hours of direct sunlight each day) and it’ll do great. If it still doesn’t dew well, consider putting it on a bright windowsill in an air conditioned room - I’ve found that unnecessary for Burmannii but some other sundews like drosera adelae stop dewing when the weather is hot and do a lot better with a bit of air conditioning in our tropical climate.
By lowis_leyn
hackerberry wrote:Let it dry a bit, the root system might be suffocating a bit and might have fungal infection.
yes i think this may have happened huhuhu so there my burmanii died... but I took in a B52, a spatulata and a Bybilis... all's doing well except for whn i started cutting bybilis hehe.. .need to put them in water care for now ... also i bought drosera seeds . and really didn't think it will bloom considering previous experience.. now there are two small ones coming out haha it's so cuuute
hackerberry liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!