FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi Everyone,

I have grown three drosera species from seeds (Drosera Capillaris, Drosera Burmannii, Drosera Spatulata) using the Ziploc bag technique and have removed the bags once the seedlings were noticeably sized (they are in pots immersed in water trays and being supplemented by a compact fluorescent bulb on a timer), but they haven't actually changed at all in probably about 3 months--they haven't really grown bigger or anything, and the plants are only maybe 1 mm in size at most. Is this normal, or are the plants just dead? How long do they take to grow? I've read that you can feed them to help the process, but these seedlings are so tiny that I doubt they are capable of digesting anything at their current size. What do I do?
By ChefDean
They are definitely capable of eating something as long as the tentacles are boogery.
I feed my dew seedlings nutritional yeast. I can crush it up to very tiny pieces and deliver it to the paddles with a toothpick.
I've also had dews just stall out for no reason, then pick up after a couple of months like nothing happened.
You could try feeding them, but as long as they're green, they're good.
By uxleumas
for me, you have to feed something to get them started. you should be fine if you give them lots of sun, but practically no one has that much. you can use a thin wire to move pieces of food to the traps. you can experiment with folar feeding but that's kinda risky in my opinion if you don't know what you're doing.
By Apollyon
I've foliar fed sprouts before. I did it a little more carefully though and applied it with a small paintbrush dipped with some maxsea. It works but it definitely burns some of the smaller leaves. So when I do it I aim for a leaf I think will be terminated next, usually the smallest or lowest. I'm kind of in the same boat. I have two pots of bainkloof seeds in the same conditions. One pot is growing great but the other is full of tiny sprouts. I have no idea how that worked out. Conditions,. media, seed packs were all the same. It's curious.
By ChefDean
felinefancier87 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:52 am Ok, so nutritional yeast...do you mean like the yeast you use for baking bread??
No, it's different. Basically it's yeast that has been spent. It has the protein and carbohydrates, but it's dead.
It's in the baking aisle of most grocery stores: Bragg Nutritional Yeast.
Essentially it's only protein and carbs.
Attachments:
20200804_212300.jpg
20200804_212300.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 3363 times
By schmeg
The reason bloodworms are popular/recommended is that they are the larval stage of the Midge Fly—an insect. Insects are the natural diet for the plants.

Some people use other fish food like betta pellets, but I play it safe and avoid anything that might have shellfish.
By felinefancier87
Ok, but like, the entire plants are like 1 mm in size...their dew drops are hardly visible...wouldn't any food particle be too big for the plants at this stage?
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!