FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By killerplantcloset
Matt wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm How much are you fertilizing it? Evidently, D. regia needs to be fed regularly, both foliar and through the soil.
I have not fertilized it other than feeding it blood worms and a lot of gnats. I have the green osmocote is this the best? I also bought Maxsea. I thought fertilizer was an option, but I guess they have to be fertilized period?
By Apollyon
I also grow Drosera Regia. Long fiber sphagnum works but it isn't my go-to. I just use a typical drosera soil though I add more sand to keep the soil from getting *too* wet. I tray water but I keep the water level quite low, about 1/8 or less up the pot. I agree with Copper, Osmocote plus is your friend. I have a 6x6x8 and I put about 7 pellets in it to help compensate for its large appetite. Beyond that it catches some bugs and I hit it with Maxsea (1/4 tsp per gallon) once a week. Sounds excessive and maybe it is, but my Regias jumped from 5 inches to 10 inches in the matter of a few months.

What I've noticed about repotting Regias in a pot larger than they need is their growth does sputter some. I noticed the one I kept in a 2.5inch pot continued to grow larger and more robust. It leads me to think that they may appreciate being *slightly* rootbound, though I'm going to have to upsize now that the roots have grown through the drainage holes. I slip-potted my other one but I do know that they don't like root disturbance too much. I root pruned a bit to get me some cuttings and he took a couple weeks before resuming his growth habits. It grows healthily, but the one in the smaller pot caught up in size and passed it up. I'm personally going to upsize one size at a time from now on.

Regia are quite temperature sensitive once they cross a threshold for a length of time. If it hits over 80-85 degrees briefly, it isn't that big of a deal. Especially if you get a contrast of lower temperatures at night. However, in my case, my lights were heating up the room and my smaller window AC couldn't bring the temperature under 86 day and 79 at night and the tips started blackening, the leaves were doing what you describe. It was a combination of factors. They like cool roots more than cool leaves. I would throw very small ice cubes in the water tray to slightly dip the temps and then got a stronger AC. Once the temperatures dropped it went back to normal. If you're in Texas, I wouldn't keep it by the window, the heat produced through the glass won't do it any favors. I'm sure your light fixture is fine. I have mine growing over a foot away from T5s and they're doing just fine. If your indoor climate is very dry, maybe consider misting it from time to time. They don't need a huge amount of humidity, but mine is liking it at around 60%. Some suggest more but mine produces a bunch of dew at 60 and a couple fine sprays a day.

If you find your temperatures are too high, I have a friend who did something very creative with a darlingtonia. He made a zeer pot (ancient refrigerator that uses evaporative cooling) and has his plant in a pot inside it. It's basically a pot within a pot with a layer of sand between. It was very interesting and allows him to grow cobras outdoors year round outside of California because the wind produces the evaporative cooling effect. So if you put a fan facing the pot it will continuously pull the heat from the center. I plan to do that with one of my Regias as an experiment.

My conditions for my Regia don't have a major dropoff. I keep it approx 75 during the day and about 69 at night.
By Apollyon
ICPS article recommended the pink cap. I'm sure you probably *could* do green but I haven't tried. Maybe with my root cuttings if they take. Osmocote plus is what I use.
Last edited by Apollyon on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
killerplantcloset liked this
By Apollyon
I take it back, iirc, I used a soil mix of something like 40/50/10 Peat/Silica/Perlite
By killerplantcloset
Apollyon wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 am I also grow Drosera Regia. Long fiber sphagnum works but it isn't my go-to. I just use a typical drosera soil though I add more sand to keep the soil from getting *too* wet. I tray water but I keep the water level quite low, about 1/8 or less up the pot. I agree with Copper, Osmocote plus is your friend. I have a 6x6x8 and I put about 7 pellets in it to help compensate for its large appetite. Beyond that it catches some bugs and I hit it with Maxsea (1/4 tsp per gallon) once a week. Sounds excessive and maybe it is, but my Regias jumped from 5 inches to 10 inches in the matter of a few months.

What I've noticed about repotting Regias in a pot larger than they need is their growth does sputter some. I noticed the one I kept in a 2.5inch pot continued to grow larger and more robust. It leads me to think that they may appreciate being *slightly* rootbound, though I'm going to have to upsize now that the roots have grown through the drainage holes. I slip-potted my other one but I do know that they don't like root disturbance too much. I root pruned a bit to get me some cuttings and he took a couple weeks before resuming his growth habits. It grows healthily, but the one in the smaller pot caught up in size and passed it up. I'm personally going to upsize one size at a time from now on.

Regia are quite temperature sensitive once they cross a threshold for a length of time. If it hits over 80-85 degrees briefly, it isn't that big of a deal. Especially if you get a contrast of lower temperatures at night. However, in my case, my lights were heating up the room and my smaller window AC couldn't bring the temperature under 86 day and 79 at night and the tips started blackening, the leaves were doing what you describe. It was a combination of factors. They like cool roots more than cool leaves. I would throw very small ice cubes in the water tray to slightly dip the temps and then got a stronger AC. Once the temperatures dropped it went back to normal. If you're in Texas, I wouldn't keep it by the window, the heat produced through the glass won't do it any favors. I'm sure your light fixture is fine. I have mine growing over a foot away from T5s and they're doing just fine. If your indoor climate is very dry, maybe consider misting it from time to time. They don't need a huge amount of humidity, but mine is liking it at around 60%. Some suggest more but mine produces a bunch of dew at 60 and a couple fine sprays a day.

If you find your temperatures are too high, I have a friend who did something very creative with a darlingtonia. He made a zeer pot (ancient refrigerator that uses evaporative cooling) and has his plant in a pot inside it. It's basically a pot within a pot with a layer of sand between. It was very interesting and allows him to grow cobras outdoors year round outside of California because the wind produces the evaporative cooling effect. So if you put a fan facing the pot it will continuously pull the heat from the center. I plan to do that with one of my Regias as an experiment.

My conditions for my Regia don't have a major dropoff. I keep it approx 75 during the day and about 69 at night.
Amazing answer thank you I will try the fertilizer. I'll pick up the the plus later on but mix up some Maxsea tomorrow. Also, I will move the plant to a less direct window. I have some good peat and silica sand I am worried if I repot him again it might disturb it too much that's twice re potting in the past 30 days or so. Do you think I should wait till the plant recovers or try to re pot in preferred soil? I might try a smaller pot if I do that.
By Apollyon
killerplantcloset wrote:
Amazing answer thank you I will try the fertilizer. I'll pick up the the plus later on but mix up some Maxsea tomorrow. Also, I will move the plant to a less direct window. I have some good peat and silica sand I am worried if I repot him again it might disturb it too much that's twice re potting in the past 30 days or so. Do you think I should wait till the plant recovers or try to re pot in preferred soil? I might try a smaller pot if I do that.
Somehow my last message got mixed up with a quote I was trying to post. I'm terribly bad with forums lol.

That's a tough call. So if it were me personally, I would chance it and give it more optimal conditions that I know would be better for the plant in the long run. It's tough because it would be knocked back for sure. Regias are quite hardy in the fact they can recover from the roots if the conditions are right. People have had them come back from the dead. For that reason, I would chance it. I would have it in a smaller sized pot more fitted for the plant. From the size of it, I'd go with a 3.5-4inch pot to start, whichever is taller honestly. (A lot of people would do an even taller size, you can. This is just my own opinion. If you find a cylindrical cup or something you could do that. Or a terracotta even, people do that because of their tolerance. I don't.) I'd like the plant to have about an inch of space beneath the roots to grow but not be so wide as to keep the plant in heavy moisture and repot as needed. From general potted plant wisdom and my own experiences with my clones(believe they're identical), I personally believe that's the way to go. If you do this size and tray water, keep the water level pretty low. it looks like you water from the top from the pic. I'd plug the holes or bottom layer with LFS for wicking and make myself either a 30/70 or 40/60 peat/sand mix. The perlite isn't absolutely necessary, I just like the insurance with drainage. I do the same for my outdoor Sarracenia (I'm in Florida, rain and humidity lol).

Now the fertilizer is a little different. The reason osmocote plus is used is because it has a higher percentage of nitrogen in its composition, which is essential for plant growth. Phosphorus and Potassium are what is used for flowering and root growth. They aren't as essential to a drosera as they are for say a tree, so the plants benefit more from the higher nitrogen than a balanced. I saw a report on ICPS which showed them using both osmocotes on Sarracenia, they both did well but the plus had taller plants.

If I had a 3-4 inch pot for my regia, I would put somewhere between 4-5 pellets on the surface. (I put one in each corner and sometimes one or two closer to the plant to cover surface area). It's a slow release and I bottom water so it's a very steady, slow trickle into the soil. Maxsea foliar feeding is gentle but it can still cause some harm if overdone. I would give it a bloodworm on all of it's leaves. and I'd test a leaf with the maxsea instead of spraying the entire plant initially. It'd be shocked from the transplant, usually you'll want to wait until it resumes growth before you fertilize it at all, that goes with any plant. Because osmocote is a slow release fertilizer, you can get away with using it right away. So if you decide to use maxsea, try it on one leaf first and see how the plant responds. If you're unable to get the osmocote plus right away, i'd just probably just use the 14-14-14. Osmocote isn't necessary but it does make things easier. You just need to make sure the plant gets a lot of nutrients. Once every two-three weeks doesn't work well with Regia.

It's summer in Texas, I'd skip the window all together and just put it back under the Mars Hydro. It's getting whatever heat comes in through the window. That'd be better suited for colder months unless you can keep it under 80 degrees.
By killerplantcloset
Got it. I will be re potting today I will wait for the plant to bounce back and grab the right osmocote. This is the help I was looking for! Thank you so much and what a rewarding and stressful species! I have a 4x4x 5 pot that should work or should I go deeper? I'd have to go buy something.
By Apollyon
killerplantcloset wrote:Got it. I will be re potting today I will wait for the plant to bounce back and grab the right osmocote. This is the help I was looking for! Thank you so much and what a rewarding and stressful species! I have a 4x4x 5 pot that should work or should I go deeper? I'd have to go buy something.
I'm sure the pot would be fine. I'm glad, hopefully it helps some. Regia is probably my favorite sundew of all of them. I found that the forums and ICPS articles for sundews were the most helpful in growing. Savage garden is ok with it but it doesn't seem like it was updated for Regias. It actually advises against Maxsea iirc. Something that should be noted though is I use a very fine mist bottle I got on amazon. I don't use an average spray bottle so the fertilizer creates a "film" more than it saturates and drips off the plant. I think to a degree thats why I can fertilize the way that I do. I was nervous as hell using osmocote on a CP lol. Just remember that osmocote plus lasts for up to 6 months, so don't end up overdoing it later on.
By killerplantcloset
Apollyon wrote:
killerplantcloset wrote:Got it. I will be re potting today I will wait for the plant to bounce back and grab the right osmocote. This is the help I was looking for! Thank you so much and what a rewarding and stressful species! I have a 4x4x 5 pot that should work or should I go deeper? I'd have to go buy something.
Awesome! Thank you to everyone for the help I will keep everyone updated.

I'm sure the pot would be fine. I'm glad, hopefully it helps some. Regia is probably my favorite sundew of all of them. I found that the forums and ICPS articles for sundews were the most helpful in growing. Savage garden is ok with it but it doesn't seem like it was updated for Regias. It actually advises against Maxsea iirc. Something that should be noted though is I use a very fine mist bottle I got on amazon. I don't use an average spray bottle so the fertilizer creates a "film" more than it saturates and drips off the plant. I think to a degree thats why I can fertilize the way that I do. I was nervous as hell using osmocote on a CP lol. Just remember that osmocote plus lasts for up to 6 months, so don't end up overdoing it later on.
By killerplantcloset
Ok, I re potted the plant today and crossing my fingers. I used 45/50/5 silica sand, peat and a small amount of perlite, what I had left. I am getting the osmocote plus tomorrow and moved the plant back under the LED light. I will let you all know in a few weeks if the plant is any better. Side note the plant looked waaaaay better today before I potted it up again.
By Apollyon
killerplantcloset wrote:Good luck little guy!
20200805_145524.jpg
Looks great man. Regia are pretty tough as long as its basic requirements are met. I think putting it under the lights will be good for it. It should be a little cooler over there. That should hopefully fix your blackened leaf tips. Just remember not to go too overboard with the fertilizer. When it does resume growth, you may see it perk up. Let me know how it turns out!
By killerplantcloset
Apollyon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 am
killerplantcloset wrote:Good luck little guy!20200805_145524.jpg
Looks great man. Regia are tough as long as its basic requirements are met. Mine just had to take some abuse from an aphid outbreak I had from my bonsai. Were resistant to neem oil so I had to blast them with a sytsemic. It looked awful for a few days but it's recovering nicely now. The pot should work out well and the soil mix looks good. It looks like you know what you're doing so I wouldn't worry about it. It'll take a little while but I think the light will be the game changer for your blackening leaves.

Thank you again! I try to research as much as possible to avoid mistakes, but the regia care online is not all that reliable and seems contradictory. You have eased a lot of stress and provided some solid help. I sure do appreciate this! :D
By Apollyon
Yeah, I find the more I work with plants that a lot of directions tend to be more like suggestions lol. I remember doing the same thing. Savage garden suggests things entirely different from how I do them. People learned over time that most sudden decline and deaths came from lack of nutrients to the plant, thinking it is like a typical CP that can rely on its leaves to float it and would just stop growing if it wasn't available. Venture to say that is why most die at about the three inch mark. I remember being incredibly nervous about the osmocote because it goes against one of the hard rules in CP growing lol. Osmocote is great man. Can use it on Sarracenia and Nepenthes (pitchers of Neps).

One of my friends insists one of the pellets ruptured on him and flooded the soil with fertilizer but I haven't had anything like that happen. I would take a quick look and make sure the pellet doesn't look chipped or anything just to be sure though.

No problem man, I hope those tips help you because they worked well for me. I'm crossing my fingers for you too.

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!