FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
That's great I did see the post about trialling having them sent outside the US and I was going to put myself forward but I figured with the risk of getting them here as well as shipping cost I would be better off buying them locally as they are virtually the same price as shipping £2.50ish to buy here. Maybe if there is something special or hard to get hold of here in the UK I will try.
By Adriana
I'm with evenwind, you could get a Mexican ping and just move it to a sunny windowsill when the temperature drops. : - ) Cape sundews make good houseplants too!
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Don't get me started Adriana I've done nothing but research pings and drosera since this post lol. Im now contemplating having two grow areas. One for temperate species and one for tropical. I remember saying to myself when I got back into vft as an adult that's all I would grow but the variety of other cp's is just to tempting not to mention hybrids. I love your new plants by the way they are beautiful. :D
Adriana liked this
By evenwind
The only problem with MexiPings is that there's so many. And they're like potato chips - you can't stop at just one. But give 'em a try. Just get the one. You sound like a person with willpower. :twisted:
Attachments:
P8071059aJPG.jpg
P8071059aJPG.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
P8071063a.JPG
P8071063a.JPG (95.4 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
P8071067a.JPG
P8071067a.JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
P8071071a.JPG
P8071071a.JPG (98.6 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
P8071069a.JPG
P8071069a.JPG (85.87 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Adriana, Propag8 liked this
By Apollyon
evenwind wrote:The only problem with MexiPings is that there's so many. And they're like potato chips - you can't stop at just one. But give 'em a try. Just get the one. You sound like a person with willpower. :twisted:
It's too true. I got one for gnat control and now I have too many. I just got a couple two days ago (laueana and gypsicola). I look forward to seeing how they do. I noticed they do very well under high humidity. I had a moranensis that was an inch and a half and now it's over 3 inches after being in the dome for a month or so lol. It's annihilating the gnats in my seed pots :lol:

What is that last whitish green ping with the large rosette?
Adriana, Propag8 liked this
By evenwind
The last one is jaumavensis x cyclosecta. The rosette is just under an inch.
Apollyon, Propag8 liked this
By Apollyon
evenwind wrote:The last one is jaumavensis x cyclosecta. The rosette is just under an inch.
I noticed that cyclosectas make some of the best looking hybrids. I have a couple I want to cross pollinate in the future lol.
Propag8, evenwind liked this
By Propag8
Thanks for rubbing the salt in the wounds evenwind :D . I feel like I'm cheating on my fly traps and I haven't even bought another plant yet lol. Apollyon sounds like your in the same boat as me but further into the rabbit hole of no return. It's the Mexican pings that to me are the most visually appealing. They are like magical looking succulents. Drosera have really captured me too. After looking for temperate species in the local nursery I seen the natural hybrid of intermedia x rotundifolia I forget the name began with a "b" but got me thinking now I need intermedia, anglica, rotundifolia and this hybrid. So evenwinds evil cycle continues to which I see no end.
Adriana liked this
By Propag8
So Mexican pings don't have a dormancy but revert to a succulent non carnivorous state which is brought on by a shorter photoperiod is this correct? If yes then I don't really get why they can't go alongside my fly traps whilst they are dormant as they still receive 6 hours of light during the dormancy or is this to little light for pings.
By Apollyon
Propag8 wrote:Thanks for rubbing the salt in the wounds evenwind :D . I feel like I'm cheating on my fly traps and I haven't even bought another plant yet lol. Apollyon sounds like your in the same boat as me but further into the rabbit hole of no return. It's the Mexican pings that to me are the most visually appealing. They are like magical looking succulents. Drosera have really captured me too. After looking for temperate species in the local nursery I seen the natural hybrid of intermedia x rotundifolia I forget the name began with a "b" but got me thinking now I need intermedia, anglica, rotundifolia and this hybrid. So evenwinds evil cycle continues to which I see no end.
Yeah I'm kinda bummed I missed the anglica seeds in the seed bank by like two days loll. Hopefully someone puts some more in there. I definitely want to have a go with those. Mexican pings are technically always going, their response in the winter where it is drier is to store moisture to survive until the next wet season. They adapted to form succulent leaves but they never fully stop growing. I will say they appear to size up much more significantly during the carnivorous phase though. I've heard it's almost solely the photoperiod that makes the difference and to change the watering habits when the new leaves appear. "Water based on the leaves not the time of year." If you're growing your flytraps inside then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to be with flytraps unless you mean in the same pot. I believe that for wintertime people typically do like 10 hours of light though to simulate shorter days. If you mean outside, I think maybe it has more to do with tolerance of your climate?
By Propag8
Thanks apollyon. I grow indoors in a grow closet. I run 16hr photoperiod March to August then I slowly reduce hours down to 8 hrs a day in november by a couple of hours each month then 6-7 hours per day during december only then raise slowly back up from January to march. My temps are max 30 centigrade in summer minimum 12-15 centigrade in winter. This isn't perfect for dionea but does the job but from what I've read seems almost ideal for Mexican pings.
By evenwind
That sounds good but it might be a little cool for MexiPings. Mine never go below 63F so I honestly don't know. And I'm sure it varies by species. But the only way you're going to know for sure is to buy a small sampling - maybe a dozen or so - and see what happens. You might get something like the 2-headed plant in the pic - one head woke up and the other sleeps on. BTW, I do a similar photoperiod thing but I try to make it real daylight + 2 hrs to accommodate the weaker fluorescent lights.
Attachments:
P8071077a.JPG
P8071077a.JPG (108.12 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Propag8, Apollyon liked this
By Adriana
That pic is great evenwind. What do you have growing on your media? Moss and utrics?
By optimus prime
evenwind wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:40 pm That sounds good but it might be a little cool for MexiPings. Mine never go below 63F so I honestly don't know. And I'm sure it varies by species. But the only way you're going to know for sure is to buy a small sampling - maybe a dozen or so - and see what happens. You might get something like the 2-headed plant in the pic - one head woke up and the other sleeps on. BTW, I do a similar photoperiod thing but I try to make it real daylight + 2 hrs to accommodate the weaker fluorescent lights.
What a stunning plant
evenwind liked this
By evenwind
Adriana wrote:That pic is great evenwind. What do you have growing on your media? Moss and utrics?
That's moss. I fight an endless battle with it. In some pots, it's so thick that it actually raises the ping up and takes it out of direct contact with the mineral media I so carefully pondered. The pings still have roots mixed in with the moss roots and they're seemingly okay with that but I'm not. I don't like the growing-on-a-putting-green look. And when the moss starts to bulge, I really hate it. I typically fill my media to just above the break line in the pots. In the pic, you can see that that the ping is raised up about 3/4" over the break line. And now that's it's stopped flowering, I can repot it.
Attachments:
P8081081a.JPG
P8081081a.JPG (76.24 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!