FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By optimus prime
Nice would you like some recommendations? Or do you have a set species your liking for?
By Propag8
I'd like 1 ping maybe grandiflora as evenwind suggested. Im not sure what drosera but just 1 but preferably a low growing variety due to having lights close to my vft. No room for taller plants in my grow space without upsetting my vfts.
By Panman
Drosera intermedia and drosera rotundafolia are fairly small and low. They both go dormant in the winter. Rotundafolia prefers cooler temperatures.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Great thanks panman. Ive just been looking at the local nursery and I really like pinguicula ehlersaie which they have available for my ping choice and also drosera intermedia. Is this particular ping suitable? I see it's a Mexican variety So does that mean no dormancy.
By Panman
Yes, a Mexican butterwort would be a tropical plant and not do a cold dormancy. You need to look for temperate or potentially warm temperate pinguicula. What are your summer temperatures like?

Drosera intermedia would be perfect. A word of caution, it self pollinates and is very prolific. Clip the flower stalks if you don't want drosera growing on any damp surface area within reach. :D
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
I see. my summer temperatures are average 28 Celsius sometimes a little higher or lower but very inconsistent. I'll look into the European native ping that evenwind suggested then. Thanks for the drosera tip I would be mortified if they invaded all my vfts lol.
By MikeB
Propag8 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:02 pmare any drosera particularly short as like I previously mentioned my lights are only about 4" above my tallest vft so I wouldn't want to raise the light and take precious lumens away from my vfts.
Drosera capillaris is very prostrate. D. intermedia is less so but should fit under your lights. D. filiformis is out of the question as it grows 6-12 inches tall. D. capensis also grows much too tall.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Thanks Mikeb it's all quite overwhelming I really didn't realise how diverse all the cp species are. I'll look into your suggested drosera and see what's available locally. Trouble is you see a plant you like on a nursery website then have to go off and research it's growing conditions as well as remembering all the complex names. Lol
By evenwind
BCP is currently closed but this page should give you a better idea of the variety of Eurasian pings: http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/in ... -temperate. And there's also North American species like P. primuliflora and lutea, should you run across them.
Last edited by evenwind on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Propag8 liked this
By MikeB
If you want some local sundews to go with your flytraps, look for Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera anglica. The plants from Wales and southern England should be happy with the flytrap's winter dormancy temperatures.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Thanks for the link evenwind I'll check it out in a minute :D . Mikeb i was thinking maybe native plants would be better. The intermedia i saw on the nursery site on closer inspection says something like "sitio ono farm brazil sub tropical form. I have no idea what this means. As for capillaris (if that's correct forgetting names already) they dont seem to list it.
Last edited by Propag8 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Propag8
That's really useful thanks evenwind. Also lists the temperate drosera too. Out of interest when do pings generally flower. Is it during the autumn/winter light cycle.
By MikeB
Propag8 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:03 pmThe intermedia i saw on the nursery site on closer inspection says something like "sitio ono farm brazil sub tropical form. I have no idea what this means.
Drosera intermedia has a wide physical range with an equally wide temperature range. The plants around the Great Lakes (southern Canada and northern U.S.) are very cold-hardy. The plants where I live are good down to around -10 C, although it usually doesn't drop below -2 C here in the winter. The plants from the Gulf coast and Florida peninsula are sub-tropical. The plants in Cuba and Venezuela are tropical. The plants in Brazil are sub-tropical because they're found in the southern part of the country.
Propag8 wrote:As for capillaris (if that's correct forgetting names already) they down seem to list it.
I'm not surprised. Few people seem to grow D. capillaris except for special varieties like Emerald's Envy, Long Arm, and Pasco Giant.
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Drosera Anglica looks very nice :D
By Propag8
Thanks for explaining that mikeb makes sense. I forget the variety in a particular species after dealing only with dionea.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!